Friday, December 08, 2017

1967 Catherine's Letter -Dec.3

December 4, 1967
Dear Mother, Daddy, Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  I just had to write you a letter to show you my latest style envelopes!  Besides I'm sick of studying (I don't know why, I haven't done too much lately) and if I'm not doing something I get these terrible guilt feelings.

I am now in room 218, but you do not need to change the address on my letters as I still have the same mail box.  Sarah and I get along beautifully.  She may come to NV for a few days just before we have to be back here.

It is a good thing the quarter is about to end before my grades could possibly fall much more.  We had an art test on Wednesday (luckily we haven't gotten the results yet) but if anything I did worse on it than I did on the previous test.  That really sounds encouraging doesn't it?  We still have the final to go but I doubt if that will help much.  I quit worrying about the grades (if I flunk it won't really matter anyway!) and right now I'm just trying to get through the remaining 11 days.

Friday night I went to K's first basketball game (which they won very easily) and to the dance afterwards with Scott.  He is in my physics and math classes.  I guess I had a good time, but it was nothing compared to last night.  Bruce and I went to see "What's Watt?" which is a French play which some senior girl translated and adapted for her senior thesis.  [Perhaps that's where I got the idea to do translation for my senior thesis!  Had forgotten about this.]   Afterwards we had a pizza and then he walked me to the Vecchios where Sarah was babysitting as I had agreed to keep her company.  Since per is at 1:00 they had planned to be back in time to get us to the dorm but the roads were so slick we didn't reach the dorm until 1:08 which meant Sarah and I both received 8 late minutes.  Big thrill!

This morning Bruce and I went to church.  (I think that makes 3 Sundays in a row!)

Tomorrow we have our PE final exam.  Sarah and I spent all of yesterday afternoon and a couple hours today reading the book and now all we have to do is study the notes for awhile.

Everyone is getting really tensed up about finals!  To alleviate as much pain as possible we have Christmas decorations all over the dorm, all over the campus, and even all over Kalamazoo.  They are having a dance on Wednesday night to help us get through the week -- boy are we ever going to need it.

If it is all right with you all I will plan to come home on the bus via Detroit, Toledo, Columbus, and Wilmington.  It I timed it right, I might even be able to catch the bus for New Vienna from Wilmington. I don't know exactly when I will be arriving but maybe if I can save a dime I will be able to call you all from Wilmington.  Is there anytime you would't be able to pick me up?  Like maybe between 10 P.M. and 8:00 A.M.  If I recall I already gave you a wide range of days to choose from.

If anyone is writing a letter to Santa Claus I can use some scales (not the kind for vegetables) but I guess it might be kind of impractical unless SC could leave them here.  When does Santa come to New Vienna?  How about to church?

Thursday is the Tutoring Christmas Party.  What a mess!  I am in charge of transportation.  I had to get two buses to go to the Lincoln school to get those kids and then we need six cars to take the kids from Woodward home, not to mention the boys needed to keep order on the bus!

I will be so glad when these next 11 days are over and I can come home and sleep for about two weeks!

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album