Wednesday, December 06, 2017

1977 Roberta's Letter -Dec. 2

December 2, 1977
Dear Family,

This seems to be the slowest day at work . . . even the telephones are not their usual self, ringing constantly.  So thought I would come back from lunch early and get a letter off to you all.  Sure have enjoyed all the mail coming this way, and wish there was moe going out from this end.  I'm slowly getting pulled together again after my week-end trip.

We didn't get home till around 6:00 PM, Tuesday night.  Everyone, but me, was sick on the way back -- so it was quite some trip.  One that I would hate to repeat soon.  First, they forgot the address where they were suppose to meet me, we had agreed on meeting at Gardelli (sp? Square -- which is near Fisherman's Wharf -- at the intersection of Beach and Larkin.  I had written all this down, which they lost.  Quite by accident they drove by -- and after waiting almost three hours, was I every glad to see them.  We left the city at 5:00 in the afternoon -- just in time to hit all the traffic leaving the city.

The plans had been changed, and we were to stay at the Hollywood YMCA.  Even at 2:00 in the morning, traffic was still pretty crazy getting into L.A.  We were supposed to leave L.A. that morning at 4:00 -- but I simply said that I was not spending the night for a period of two hours.  So we stayed on -- and left the city about 9:00 that morning -- after calling here, and telling Dr. Crandell the situation.  I drove all the way home and thats a long way.  Except for 40 miles I drove all the way -- good thing I have cross country experience.

Coming aback to work was something too -- alot of work in my basket to do.  Mostly typing, running things off, etc.  I still enjoy my job a lot -- as I've said before, I'll never by a Phyllis, but I am turning into a lot more efficient office person.

Today is the Christmas bazaar at school -- all the classes are selling things, and it is quite a big affair.  All kinds of food, and homemade things for sale.  I bought a ceramic mug -- and some Indian brea.  Also there is an egg toss, and a dunk-em machine -- which seems to be very popular.

We got busy – right after I got this started – should have known!

This week at work sure went fast – only way to start a week on Wednesday!

The Buick is still in my name – for the purpose of license plates -- who & how much do I owe for insurance?

Mary Virginia it's always good to hear from you – you must be doing alot of letter writing to hear from Mary Thompson & Jennifer Maloney.  I saw Billy South in S.F. – Teresa (Jenifer's mother) brother.

Are you enjoying my stereo – I didn't realize that it was my old stereo – but glad you are using it & you are more than welcome to it.  What records do I have at home – do I have any fok or Christian songs – they would be long albums – not 45's – if you find them – I'd like to have them here.

Do I have any shoes at home?  Especially miller-type – comfortable – They are now $45.00 – so I've put off buying them.

I've started my shopping – Mary Virginia, what size do you wear now?  Or would you like something else other than clothes?  I'm very open for ideas ––

Did you watch the Bing Crosby Special?  I watched some of it!  I noticed where this week Billy Graham in Cincinnati is on T.V.  I'll watch it – look for you all.

What have you heard from Serena?  I had a nice letter today from Grandma & Ruth.

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album