Friday, November 17, 2017

1967 Catherine's Letter -Nov.16

November 16, 1967
Dear Mother, Daddy, Rober (I only do that when I type!), Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  Greetings from the North Pole!  Brrrr!  You probably received my last post card rather late as I wrote it on Friday and I don't think it went out until Monday.  I just dropped it into the mailbox downstairs rather than carry it all the way down to the big box at Bowen and then I remembered that the next day was Veteran's Day and they wouldn't be picking up the mail here.

The dance was really great!  The dress fit fine.  I didn't have the shoes died but now they are really a mess after I walked to the dance in the rain they are really muddy.  Any suggestions on cleaning?

Afterwards we went to get a pizza.  It really turned into a chaotic evening!  We put the order in for the pizza and after we sat around waiting for about 40 minutes we decided nobody could be that slow with a pizza.  When Evan went to check it turned out that some man had come in and said our pizza was his, and he had just left the place.  Of course just as we are running out after him to get our pizza back he zooms off in his car.  By this time its is 1:10 A.M. per is 1:30, the pizza is not ready and we are 15 minutes away from the dorm!  The pizza place really put out the steam and gave us a pizza (the wrong kind, but nevertheless a real pizza) in five minutes.  Somehow we made it back to the dorm and had a few minutes to spare, but how I will never know!

Sarah (my new best friend and comrade) and I decided that Sunday was still part of Girl-Bid weekend so we did some more work in that line.  She invited a guy to served dinner which we have every Sunday noon but he said he had too much homework and was planning to skip the served meal.  (I can see why he had too much homework, he is in my physics class!)  I invited John Schaeffer to go to church with me but it turned out he is a Catholic so he invited me to served meal!  Sarah ended up with his roommate and we had a nice foursome.

After supper the four of us (Sarah, Cal, John and I) went to this house where Sarah was babysitting for a five-year-old boy (she brought him to supper.) and played hide and seek for awhile.  It felt pretty good to get out of that studying rut!

The whole end of our hall is playing musical beds in an attempt to come up with a roommate for next quarter.  Sarah and I want to room together but the total move would involve eight people and there is one girl who is pretty adamant about staying.  You can see how one person could foul the whole thing up pretty well!  We were supposed to have our slips in yesterday about roommates for next quarter but since our mess is so complicated they gave us an extension to work things out!

Last night Sarah and I went to see "School for Wives" by Moliere which was put on at Western.  The Western kids stared at us like we were foreigners or something.  What really shocked them was when we pulled carrots, celery, cucumbers, lettuce and marshmallow apricot salad out of our pockets to eat during intermission!

The real highlight of yesterday was when I went to the library to study between PE and math class.  Math starts at three and I must have fallen asleep for when I looked at my watch I discovered it was 3:45 and I was still in the library.  I grabbed my math book and my coat and zoomed over to fourth floor Olds in record speed so that I was arriving as everyone else was leaving.  Dr. Bausch was very understanding when I told him how embarrassed I was, etc.  Today we are having a test so he said if I had any questions I could come in and ask him!

We also had a big physics midterm yesterday which I don't think I did too well on.  I guess time will tell.  Do you know if I ever decided to go to graduate school I am going to have to work triple hard all the rest of my four years here just to bring up my first quarters grades.  What an encouraging thought!

The chemistry test was too much!  We haven't gotten the results but if I did like I think I did I will probably be taking chem next quarter.

Are you going to Bruces for Thanksgiving?  Speaking of Thanksgiving, next Monday night we are having a Thanksgiving fast for freedom which means that for every person who doesn't eat they save so much money which goes to Vista or somewhere like that.

Save this letter it may be the last one you get before Christmas!

Love,
Catherine
(alias Annie Anonymous)

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album