Saturday, November 11, 2017

1977 Roberta's Letter -Nov.8

11/8/77
Dear Family,

I really enjoy getting to work early and get myself ready for the day by typing one letter – also this way of course I can see what time everyone gets here.  Thanks alot for your letter and for the tape.  I had almost forgot about sending for it – think I did it sometime in August from the farm.

This week is really a crazy week at work.  Most of all because grade cards are going out – and also because Federal Impact Cards are due back into the office.  We have to track kids down, and try to impress upon them to bring the cards back in – which isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

I really do like my job – did I tell you that Litton called me and that I had the job there – but I'm glad I stuck with this – even though the holidays off would probably be about the same !!!!  If I decide to stay out here – I'm sure I could find a better job in the school system.  Yesterday they passed around a job opening in one of the junior high schools – but shorthand, etc. was necessary – but I'm glad to see that sort of things gets passed around.

I carry my lunch everyday – and also to your surprise (besides selling the Buick) I carry a big container of tea with me everyday.  Remember the yellow container we started out on the trip with – I think it came from S&H stamps – I drink that everyday.  I was buying soda – but decided I did not want to spend my money on it.

As to getting an apartment – I want to get one after the first of the year.  I enjoy staying with Marion –she has a nice big place – but then I don't want to overdo my welcome – and being without a car, I'd like to be closer to work.  Her neighbors who are building a house, which is not finished yet – but have sold their townhouse and must move out of it this week found a nice one bedroom apt. furnished about half way between here (the school) and Marion's.  It is $150 – but the people are charging them $168 because they want it only for two months.  I might check it out – as of yet have not seen it inside – but Rene is very picky so I'm sure it is mighty fine.  It is a small building – only three other apartments – all filled with older people.

Mary Virginia that was really a good poem about Wendy Jean . . .  all except for the part in there about the cat.  I could have done without it!!!  I let Marion read it and she really had a good laugh about growing old.  She keeps kidding me about being a kid.

I better get started to work – maybe the more I do now the easier it will be this afternoon – but things don't seem to work that way.  What do you want to do about the things that I want out here?  Do let me know!

Love, Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album