Friday, November 24, 2017

1977 Roberta's Letter -Nov.21

November 21, 1977
Dear Family,

Here I am at work – w/ a broken type writer – the letters (some – not all) just won't print – can't figure out what's gone wrong!

It's hard for me to believe that this is Thanksgiving Week – when I made my airline reservations it seemed so long till November 23rd.

Yesterday I had a call from this guy who had seen my name up on the A.S.U. bulletin board for wanting a ride to go to San Diego.  It was really weird – he wanted me to come over to ASU to meet him & give him the $ (30.00) – $10 of it supposedly refundable.  So I told him I didn't have a car – & I would not pay ahead of time anyway.  In about 15 minutes the guy calls back & told me to forget it.  I wouldn't mind saving $ – but it will be nice just to fly it – since the time is so short!

It got down to 47º this morning – mighty cold!  I'd like you all to bring out my lined green coat, mittens, & a scarf.  Also the brown wool sweater sometime – like the one Aunt Mary gave me.

The winter visitors are sure beginning to arrive – Marion & I have been gong to the Methodist Church on the East side of town (she lives on the West side) & yesterday we got there at the same time & had to be seated in chairs at the very front of the church.  There are three services 8:30, 9:45, & 11:00 – we attend the 9:45.  the parking lot was full of out of state cars – and lots of Canadian cars.

After church Marion started her ballgames and I got out on my bike & went 9.4 miles – I was on the roads that I had been on w/ the car before – but it was surprising what all I saw.  First I went to see the Meades' [?] new home – the bath tubs are now in.  They say once the dry wall goes on – it will be a month.  (Which isn't on yet.)

Mesa is rally growing – especially the West side – no high rise buildings but alot of town house type apartments being built.  The freeway is almost finished now to Alma School Rd.  the entrance/exit will be about 1 mile from Marions.  Right now you have to go about 2 miles to get to it.

We went bowling on Saturday night – there are two places here in Mesa – one is about a mile from us – brand new – all computerized, charge $1 for shoes + $1 per game.  The other alley is about 3 miles away – older – not computerized – charges 40¢ for shoes + 75¢ a game.  Can you guess which one we go to?  (The 2nd one!)  A Saturday night ritual is to go to the Chinese restaurant – where you can eat all you want for $2.15.  The food is really good – though you would be in trouble if you were looking for big pieces of meat!  We've also noticed business picking up there in the last couple of weeks.

Again – I don't want the Granada brought out – winter out here may be hard on it –

We are having a party here at work – just the office people – each of us is suppose to bring in a dish on Wednesday

All for now – Have I got good news though!

Love, Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album