Friday, November 03, 2017

1987 Roberta's Letter - Nov.2

NOVEMBER 2, 1977
Dear Family,

Not that I don't want you all to call, but thought I would try to do better this week at writing.  Now that I'm working time seems to go very fast, and its the end of the week before I realize it – as you all also know.

I talked to the principal's secretary yesterday about the possibility of getting off the Friday after Thanksgiving – and working Nov. 11th.  She is the one that gave me the list of my holidays off.  She said that she could see no reason why I couldn't do it – because both days that won't be classes.  Then the principal came through about 20 minutes later and said that they had thought about it; and I would be able to have both days off – that the county doesn't know what is going on out here anyway – or to some idea.  First, when he said that they had changed their minds – I thought that it meant that I had to work the Friday after Thanksgiving after all.

Now I must begin to make my plans.  Air Fare is $96 round trip.  That's pretty high for even a four day weekend.  The bus schedules are not only bad, but also very time consuming . . . . . some 11 and a half hours.

I'm getting to school now at 6:45  – yesterday morning I went right to work – but today I'm tending to personal matters.  Marion has sold her car.  After putting ads in the paper for weeks and hearing very little; she started parking the car on a empty field about a block from the Datsun dealer.  On the second day there, a man called up, and the next day had it in his name.  So she is using the Buick and drops me off on her way to work – then last night I walked home – tonight I think I'll get a ride at least part way with one of the women here.  It's 2.8 miles here – not a bad walk.  The bike I had last year is now at the repair shop – guess it was in a bad wreck this last year – also tires that won't keep air in them.  I plan to ride it back and fourth to work after it gets fixed.  There are bike paths all the way here, so it will be a nice ride.  A little cool in the morning, but nice in the afternoon.  This morning it was down to 58º !!!!

Work is going just fine.  I do quite a bit of typing and I can notice my speed and also accuracy picking up – but then this letter doesn't show that well.  Alot of the work I do is the in and out sort of stuff – filling out forms, etc.  I type alot of lists and some memos  – the bulletin is almost always two pages – usually alot  of announcements which I sometimes feel like that are not read – because the teachers are always asking each other the questions that are answered in the bulletin.  The absences are also listed – some days are really heavy.  Yesterday there were very few – but then that might mean that there are just gong to be that many more today.

I had a letter yesterday from Jackie – she is in Wash. D.C. –working until she gets her money together to come to San Diego.  She has a sister there she is staying with, and is working at a temporary job placement service.  I bet she really entertains the places she works.  Maybe the other employees are glad she is only temporary.  I'll keep you posted on her – that is if I hear from her again.

Better stop for now and get started on the work for the day.  Time does go fast – always seems that something needs done – and the boring stuff makes the other more bearable.  Or should I say the other makes the boring stuff more bearable.

Mary Virginia, Ella called last night – she is visiting her son not far from Marion's – about 10 miles.  She said she had a good picture of you.  We are to get together with her this weekend.

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album