Tuesday, October 18, 2016

1986 Catherine's Letter -Oct.24

Friday, Oct. 24, 1986

Dear Mother & Dad,

Hi!  I'm not sure if this will get there in time for Dad's big day on Monday (gee, I had been thinking it was Tuesday -- now I'm sure it won't get there) but anyway you will know we were thinking about you.  Do (or did rather) you have any special plans?

Wendy is all excited about Halloween, actually though she is much calmer about most things this year than she has been in the past.  I guess that comes with getting older!  Today her class was taking a field trip to the fire department so she was looking forward to that.  We have a conference with her teacher on Monday so that should be interesting.

Gerry was laid off last Friday which was rather a shock.  The parts department had a good year but sales were way down and the service dept was down also.  Unfortunately Gerry was one of the more recent hire-ees ((I'm sure there's a better word for that) and one of the higher paid so he made the first cut.  He's been to the employment office in Pullman and has to go back today for a group meeting.  Hopefully something else will turn up before too long in a different field that he might be qualified for since the farm equipment business may not perk up in the near future.  At any rate we are now considering our long term options (maybe we should move to Australia -- just kidding!)  It will probably mean a move to Pullman or Moscow although we'd like to see Wendy finish the school year here.  I think we'll just have to wait and see what turns up for Gerry.

I am going to a workshop today in Spokane on pre-school storytimes.  That should be fun.  It doesn't start until 12 so I am meeting the Colfax children's librarian at 10 and going with her.  My storytimes have been going really well but it's always nice to get new ideas.  Last week I had 32 2-4 year-olds at one session and then I had 38 show up after school for the school age program.  This week coming up will be popular too since it will be the Halloween program.

My teeth are dong fine – or maybe it's my gums that I should say are fine.  It was pretty painful the first week and I had a hard time eating anything solid because of the stitches.  But since I got the stitches taken out on Monday I've only had to take a few aspirin when my jaw starts to ache too badly.  My teeth feel kind of funny because when the gums were cut and stitched they are now lower (or higher on top) exposing more of the tooth surface so they feel different to my tongue!  I go back to Spokane on November 17 for a check-up.

Well, I still have to do a few things to get ready to go so I better close.

Hope it was a Happy Birthday, Dad -- and many, many more!

Love, 
Catherine, Gerry
& Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album