Thursday, January 24, 2013

1973 Joe's letter to MV - Jan. 23

Joe writes to MV in answer to a letter she sent to him.  Transcription follows.

January 23, 1973
    Dakar    
Dear Mary Virginia,
I write letters as often as it rains in Senegal. We’re in the dry season now. I enjoyed your letter. Thanks a lot.

Roberta and Julie were thoughtful guests. I loved entertaining them. Our trip to Mauritania was wonderful. I just got back my pictures. The ones of Roberta riding a camel were funny!

Last week I was sick. My stomach was upset and I spent many hours in the bathroom! But fortunately all that discomfort is over. I feel well now.

Aliou, my Senegalese friend, and I went to a “Lambb,” a Senegalese wrestling match. Before they wrestle, they pray to their Moslem god, Yalla in order that he help them. They also put on various leather cords to keep the other wrestler from winning the match. There was a lot of dancing before and tom-toms sounding loud and clear. The wrestling only takes 2 or 3 minutes. It’s all the ceremony before that’s interesting to watch. Well, hope you and your family are well. Hope to hear from you soon. Love, Joe
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album