Thursday, October 22, 2020

1980 Catherine's Letter -Oct.31

 

Friday, October 31, 1980

Dear Mother, Dad, and Mary,

Hi!  We're thinking of you being in Gatlinburg right now.  At least you get out of passing out candy to the Trick-or-Treaters.  It's a little past 6:00 and we have had 3 so far.  Hopefully we won't have as many as we did last year (around 85) since we don't live in such a congested area any more.

I did OK at the dentist's for October taking in over 16,000.  I figure my bonus to be $177 of course they take taxes out of that but still it's OK for my first month!  Next month and December too will probably be much less -- for one thing we were (#4 just here) open 18 days this month whereas next month because of holidays and other days we will be closed there will only be 13 days we will be open.

We got our tax bill this week.  It comes to $690 but the state pays a % so we only pay $521.94.  We had budgeted $675 so it was nice to find it much lower.  That $521.94 is after the 3% discount we get for paying it by the 15th.

Wendy is watching Sesame Street right now. It is on from 6 -7 and she likes to watch it.

Mother, what I was trying to think to tell you last Friday was that I tried the microwave yogurt recipe and it came out super!  The only difficulty is finding about five hours when I am home and when I don't want to use the microwave for anything else.  Last Saturday Gerry had to work so I spent the afternoon making yogurt and also two batches of bread which I hadn't made since before we became apartment managers.  Hopefully with my days off I will have time to do more things like that.  This week we were closed on Monday as Dr. Woll was out of town so I worked Friday and had Monday off.  I got a new permanent that afternoon.  Dr. Woll is also going to be gone the 7th, 10th, & 11th of November but it will be my turn to work on the 7th, then I'll have the 10th off and work the 11th.  I think all of us will have the day after Thanksgiving off but I am not sure about that yet.  Gerry is thinking of possibly taking that day off also but we haven't thought of anything to do if we do have a long weekend.  Possibly go stay in Portland for a night or two.  (Now up to #8 on trick or treaters.)

Now #9 & 10 just here.  It's 6:35 so the next hour will probably be the most concentrated.  The staff at the Day Care Center were all dressed up in costumes today.  Wendy didn't know what to think until she figured out who they were.  She still isn't sure about all these people coming to the door.

Gerry has tomorrow off so we are going down to Bend and buy some foam for the back of the truck, courtesy of Grandma.  Then we are going to cover the foam with carpet and we will have some comfy padding to make up our bed when we go camping.  We also plan to go to a meat market and a canned food store in hopes of finding some bargains and eat lunch out somewhere but we haven't decided where yet.

Your letter arrived yesterday.  Thanks.  Interesting article on children's play.  What do you think the election results are going to be?  It seems likes a pretty close race.  Probably it will all be over by the time you get this!

Hope to hear from you again soon!

Love,
Catherine, Gerry
& Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album