Tuesday, September 01, 2020

1980 Roberta's Letter to GHU -Sep.17

 


[9/17/80]
Wednesday Morning
Dear Grandma,

From the sounds of your last letter and the folks on the telephone you all really had a busy time with the Hortons visit.  I'm glad you've had now a few weeks to rest up before we take off.

Your arrival date here of the first is just fine.  It's going to be a big day at work on the 2nd -- Thursday.  A play -- sort of.  they have all been busy learning their lines -- etc.  I'm glad that you will be here to see that.  Also there are some other good stuff happening out at work while you will be here.

The dates for us to go to Oregon are also fine.  I've got it worked out for me to miss work that week.  Actually I will only be missing four days of work because the 13th is some kind of holiday so the center would be closed.  I keep thinking I should write Catherine a note of some kind.  About how many days would you like to spend there?  Have you thought about what else would be interesting to see or do while we are in the area.  I would like to go over by the Oregon coast.  The weather and foliage should really be nice the week we are there -- hopefully not too cold!!!

Work has actually been very hectic the last two weeks.  We are limited to the number of people that we are able to take -- 70 meals at the center.  Both days this week we have had to turn away about 40 people.  Of course everyone feels like "that they should not be turned away."  I wonder what its going to be like this winter with the arrival of the "snow-birds."  That really upsets the people -- when a "snowbird" knocks them out of getting a meal -- when they live here year-round.  We cannot turn away winter visitors -- and are not allowed to give preference to year-round residents.

Have you every heard from Joe as far as when he will be in Ohio????  Hopefully it will be the last part of the month.  Will the Hortons make another trip up to Ohio?  I sure wish I could see Joe on one of his trips.

It's now Thursday morning . . . yesterday morning Rev. Wise and his parents came out to the center to see me.  His parents don't live all that far from the center.  They are sure enjoying his visit with them.

I've been busy typing up new song sheets for out at work.  We don't have a typewriter there so its meant doing them at home.  Two weeks ago I took this typewriter out there but in a weeks time only three songs got typed.  So I decided it would be much easier to do them here at home.

It has noticeably cooled down . . . thank goodness.  Now in the morning usually open up the doors until about 7:00 or so -- we still keep the Air Conditioning on tho at 80º.

I need to close so that I can get ready for work.  Will be writing the folks tonight . . .

Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album