Sunday, September 06, 2020

1970 Roberta's Letter -September

In September 1970, Roberta enrolled at George Fox College in Newberg, Oregon.

 [Undated, but probably from mid-September, 1970.]

Dear Family,

Yesterday I went downtown, into Newberg.  It is simply one main street which goes down about 10 blocks.  There is a Sears & Montgomery Wards mail order places.  Also a Penney's store -- about the size of the one in Washington, C.H.

I checked the banks out and the rates are both the same.  I decided not to start a checking account!  Low cost checking account 12¢ per check -- but you can't write more than 15 checks a month.  I put $100.00 in Savings Account -- but if you make more than  3  withdrawals in less than 90 days it cost 50¢ for a withdrawal.  If I want to withdraw more than 3 times, I'll just take it all out and start a new account.  Umm --

Today we are taking more tests.  ACT tests.  A bunch of kids got out of it because they already had taken it.

Newberg has 5,200 people -- according to the sign below the Corp. limit.

I may not be able to get a job because of some Gov't something.  Also you're suppose to be in desperate need of it.  Anyway, I'm suppose to go see the financial aid man after I get my schedule -- which will be Saturday morning.  Oh, well.

I just got back from my mail box.  I got your post-card.  Thanks alot.

This Oregon life is Cold!

Last night we had a tour or what-ever of the library.  It is very nice.  They have a special "Quaker Room" -- wonder why??

Well.  I've got to go.

Love,

Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album