Tuesday, September 29, 2020

1980 Kim's Letter -Oct.15

[The wording of this letter is not perfect but for the sake of authenticity is transcribed as best as possible.  Writing a long letter in a second language, especially English, would be very difficult.]
 
Oct. 15, 1980

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Uible,

It was a great pleasure to talk with you by phone a couple of times.

I sincerely hope you and your family are all well in good health and also your business ever prospers.

I am very much shame on myself that I should prepare everything well in advance for Mie Young's departure on time.  Very regret this happen!  However, it is time that recently our Immigration Law has been changed and gave me a terrible shock and unexpected problem has happened.  It seems to me that god never stand my side at all!

As you know well, Mie Young has U.S. Passport (valid [?] with July, 1984) but difficult to get out from our country this time.

Actually, Mie Young has been kept dual nationality which both U.S. & Korean citizenship.  Officially I submitted all documents to Immigration authority for secede from Mie Young's Korean nationality.  But they didn't approve our request.  Because they insist that her parents doesn't have U.S. Permanent Visa so far and also Mie Young is still under age which means Korea is age of 20 years old become an adult.  Then without any difficulty officially she can give up Korean citizenship upon request of her own will.

Our Gov't made such unreasonable rule which even tentative basis, however it is a great ordeal case for our family, our three children are praying day and night for smooth and quick settlement of Mie Young's problem.  Well, it's all Will of God I believe!

Finally found out some solution in that she can get some Korean Passport for only depart from Korean airport. Following suggestion was made between one of staff in our Passport section with verbal promise.  It's not quite guaranteed procedure.  But we will try on it anyhow.  I believe that "where there is a will, there is a way".  

He suggested that try to get some kind of Invitation letter from the church or any missionary group from the U.S. and must receive Notary public from the U.S.  So I ask you to contact with your church that some occasion of Anniversary Project at your church activity for High School group exchange program.  Your church would like to invite Mie Young Kim for 2-3 week period at your earliest convenience.  Also you could mention that why your church particularly choose Mie Young Kim who is Vice President of High School group at Jung-Won church in Jung-Nung-Dong, Sung-Buk-Gu, Seoul is that you and your church members knew Mie Young's father, Kyung Ho Kim since a long time ago and I know many of your members of church community and I also visited your church many times, etc.

So, if she depart from Korean airport with Korea passport, then she will return her Korean Passport to me then I will settle by myself without any problem or difficulty here.  Automatically she will use her own U.S. Passport continuously.  It's not going to have an problem in this invitation letter.  You should not mention anything about her U.S. Passport, etc.

I hope you understood my point and it is really urgent actions required.  Because Mie Young did not register to Seoul International School this semester, she has been only anxiously waited our Gov't decision and now waiting your Invitation letter.  It's all my fault and my wife complains and blame me.

Regarding to my Permanent Visa please contact with your nearest Immigration office (may be Cincinnati?) and find out possibility, what kind of procedures or document do I need for ? may be I should get some employment from one of U.S. Firms?  Since you are most capable and honorable lawyer so you could find some answer for Yes or No! if you suggest then I am willing to visit your country anytime.

As you may know, as an elder son, I am taking care of my old aged parents at same house now, but sooner or later we are willing to join Mie Young later on for residence in U.S.  Looking forward to receive your most, favorable and pleasant invitation letter -- so that immediately proceed Mie Young's passport and depart from Korea. 

You should mention that your church is going to cover Air ticket and all other concerned staying expenses etc.  However, it is only some formality for convince of passport authority in Korea.  No doubt, I will pay all expenses for trip which I already bought air-ticket a couple months ago.  I sware upon my conscience that actually I am not going to ask any financial aid or support from your church so that please don't worry and convince at your church members and your honorable PASTOR.  I am asking only your full understanding of real purpose of this informal invitation letter and moral support.

Again your prompt action and reply will be much appreciated.  I hardly cannot wait until bi-monthly meeting in December.  Please please explain my hard situation and convince you kind and warm hearted people in New Vienna.

Hopefully and eagerly October repeat October not December will bring a clearing of the air for our mutual benefit.

May God richly bless your family and all your church members.

Cordially Yours, 
Kyung Ho Kim

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album