Wednesday, September 02, 2020

1980 Roberta's Letter -Sep.18

[9-18-80]
Thursday Night 
Dear Family,

If I were really on the ball I would get this written and out to Rev. Wise to "special delivery" it to you all.  I understand that Mom and Dad are going down with his wife to pick him up at the airport.  Hope you didn't have to give up a square dance evening for the trip.

I didn't get it mentioned in Grandma's letter but both Marion and I have been busy trying to figure out the "ins and outs" of the new toy -- a Litton Microwave -- we had looked at the General Electric model that fits over the stove -- but they were very expensive -- plus a $60 installation charge.  The same model as the "spacesaver" put out by GE cost some $250 dollars less -- to just go on a counter.  The one we got is called the "Meal in One" -- its got alot of features -- that we need to learn how to use.  Right now Marion just gets upset with it all -- when she can't get it do do what she thinks it should do.

We did have some chicken in it tonight -- some we had left from the night before having done extra on the trill.  It was very good.  Also did baked potatoes -- which were far too well done.  I'm anxious to really learn how to use -- then feel like we will really get the use out of it.

We went down to shoe city Tuesday Night -- they had about fifteen pairs of shoes that were my size and that I really liked.  Couldn't get over it.  Usually its two or three pairs in my size and none that I really like.  So I ended up getting four pairs -- one Flamolare tie shoe, a Selby sandal, and two pairs of Cobbies -- one Sandal and one tie.  The total bill was some $78 dollars -- and that also includes three pair of hose.  These shoes should last for a long while -- and really not all that unreasonable -- for today's prices!!!

Has Mie Young arrived yet?  That was very interesting how she had gotten a letter from her father . . . would make you all wonder just how soon she would be coming.  Anxious to hear her thoughts about the school, and New Vienna itself.

I really had some excitement Monday night.  I've gotten into the habit of starting the bike in the garage -- when the car is not there, so that there is plenty of room to turn the bike around, and ride down the driveway.  Marion had driven, so I went to start the bike -- had it on the kick-stand.  Kicked it twice -- and then "boom -- a few sparks -- before I knew it I had the bike outside on the road.  That in itself is really something; because to get it off the kickstand is quite a feat and also to set it on the kickstand is also a feat.  That was really the extent of the excitement -- except that the bike lost all the gas in it.  I had just filled it up on Sunday and had only gone about 20 miles on the tank.  I left the bike out all day -- it was still dripping a little when I left for work.  Called up Doreen Stubbs and borrowed her car to get to work.  That night the guy came over that sold me the bike -- the owner of the shop.  He said it was just a problem with the gas line, and some kind of short somewhere.  He fixed it up for me -- didn't charge me anything.  I've a feeling that maybe it was something that was not put together right -- or finished right when I had it in for the tune-up.  But, it's going fine now -- and I'm convinced I'm much better off with it.  I drove our car out Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and I was constantly asked to haul someone or do this or that everytime I headed for the door.

I didn't get around to registering for ASU this fall -- but think its just as well -- I seem to have too much stuff going now.  End up doing quite a bit of work at home -- stuff that doesn't get done at work.  Also am still working for Harry -- the flower shop -- had thought about telling him I was quitting as of end of this month -- but didn't.  Did tell him that I wanted off the first two Saturdays in October.  He seemed to think that he would have a hard time without me two Saturdays straight.  I'm doing all his billing now -- as far as all the wire orders -- and the organizations Teleflora, Flora, American Floral Assoc., are the big ones.  FTD is really the big one -- but that is strictly computerized.  Really nice and easy.  I've also worked for him some evenings -- and it all comes in handy -- the money for shoes, and microwave, and all the routine bills.

Also the book-keeping process out at work is being completely changed on October 1st.  Most senior centers will be going on computer -- but we will not be.  The center in town is going on computer.  Under this new system we will have to figure out daily on each person -- how many times this year they have used the center, what age group (60-64; 64-69; etc) what income bracket; what marital status; etc.  Also divide their day into 30 minute sections; and what they do for each time section -- meal, recreation, nutrition ed, consumer ed, etc.  Just unbelievable.  I'm supposed to go to a four hour training deal this Tuesday for the new system.

Did I ever tell you all that Vera (the woman that wanted to come to New Vienna this summer) had a heat stroke in her home about two days after I left?  She really had a time of it all.  Wasn't found for a day -- then taken to the hospital where she spent a week -- then put in a private home -- small nursing home type of deal -- but that turned out to be a disaster -- she was too much alive for them -- so they took her back home; and her neighbor took her in -- then she went to her grand niece's in Calif. for about a week; then come back.  Now she is staying in with a couple about 4 blocks from where she lives.  She really is happy there -- has a small apartment -- what used to be their attached garage.  It's fixed up very nice -- and she can use their house as far as watching TV etc.  She has to pay them $250 a month -- which included her meals.  It's an ideal set-up.  Wish she could stay there forever -- but they have a lady coming in October 4th.  The paramedics asked her age -- and she wouldn't tell -- I did see it on her medical records -- 94 years old.  She is quite a character.  Hopefully she will be ok back in her own house this winter.  The main problem was that she didn't have any air conditioning, and would keep all the windows closed, didn't even use a fan  The other day I was over there and she wanted me to write some checks for her -- her account was down to some 83 thousand after I wrote about 6 checks for her.  Just unbelievable!!!  Vera was walking with a walker when I first saw her -- in the nurses home -- before she went to Calif.  Now she is getting along with just her cane again.  But when she dances she doesn't need the cane.  She has been coming to the center three times a week -- bingo days.  Then on Tuesdays and Thursdays she goes to her church (Catholic) and plays cards.

We are looking forward to Grandma coming out.  Hopefully by then we will have the microwave directions down pat so it will be at its top-efficient self.

Better be closing -- thanks for your letter . . . .

Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album