Friday, September 11, 2020

1970 Roberta's Letter & Newberg newspaper -Sept.

 


The Newberg Graphic: the only newspaper in the whole wide world that really cares about Newberg.  Thursday, September 24, 1970
The headlines of the bottom article read in full:  GEORGE FOX OPENS WITH RECORD STUDENT ENROLLMENT LARGEST IN HISTORY

* * * * * * * * * *
[Undated]

Dear Family,

It's now 7:45 and I just got back from breakfast.  My first class isn't till 10:00 today.  And believe it or not -- I've got all my home-work done.

Yesterday I went downtown to buy a blanket.  Well -- I bought one, but when I got back to the school and opened it up -- there were weak spots in it where the threads all came undone.  (It was a thermal blanket)  So today I'm going to take it back.

I also bought a paper downtown -- which was printed last Thursday.  It's a weekly paper.

My room-mate has strep throat.  I've had a cold but I'm getting over it.  Mary is still in the room but she can't go to classes or anything.

It's now a little after 12:00 -- lunch time almost.  I just got the mail and got the camera.  Thanks alot.  I just got it in time for some funny pictures.  Freshman are having orientation.

Mary -- my room-mate has gone home.  I'm not sure how long or if and when she'll be back.

I've already dropped one class in exchange for another.  I dropped Accounting for U.S. History.  You should have heard the accounting teacher the very first day in class.  After the class I told him I hadn't had any high school accounting.  He said then it would take an awful lot of time and would be awful hard.  So I went to the Registrar and had to pay $2.00 so I could change into U.S. History.

I've just now come back from lunch and after lunch went to check my mailbox and got a letter from John!

I'm not going to be able to get a job thru the school.  In fact, I guess there are kids who really need a job to pay for tuition and there weren't enough jobs.

There are 467 students.  15% increase over last year!  Mercy

I've taken pictures already with my camera.  They are of my  3  friends -- Melody, Pam & Judy.  Judy has a car, so does Melody -- but she never has any gas money!

Last Saturday evening after the banquet Judy, Melody, Pam & I went into Portland.  We saw the "Peoples Fountain" -- it's right across from the Civic-Convention Center or whatever.  We also went to some high places where you could look down and see Portland and also Vancouver Washington.

Well -- I've got to go.  Do write!

Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album