Tuesday, September 08, 2020

1970 Roberta's Letter & George Fox invoice -Sep.27

 


[Note:  George Fox (1624-1691) was the founder of the Religious Society of Friends, commonly known as the Quakers or Friends.  George Fox College was founded in 1891.  In 1986 the enrollment was 549.  Roberta is the only noted former student that I know personally.]

Sept. 27, 1970

Dear Family,

We just got back from the beach.  Um -- cold!  Tho there were some that did go in swimming.  We went to a place called "Twin Rocks", according to my Atlas, a town of 200 people.

Right outside the city limits is a Quaker Church Camp where we had a worship service and also ate our lunch.  "Twin Rocks" is in "Tillamook" County.

After lunch we went to the ocean which was right across the road.  We could do anything we wanted to do till 6:00 - supper.  A bunch of us walked down the ocean side.  "Twin Rocks" got its name by twin rocks being in the water.  They were big, enormous things standing beside each other.  They were almost identical.  We got there by 4 big buses owned by the school.  We left at 8:00 this morning ad didn't get back til 9:30 p.m. tonight.  I'm tired!

I'm scheduled to take 1) Body mechanics, 2) English, 3) Nutrition, 4) Lit of Bible, and 5) Practical Accounting.

I really wanted to take economics instead of accounting but it didn't work out.  If I do good in accounting, I think I will go to a business school next year.  I really don't know tho.

Daddy, included you will find my balance of everything which is now $00.00.  I had to pay $12.00 before yesterday at 4:00 p.m.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy my books.

I'll wait til after the mail comes in before I mail this.

I did get a post-card from you all.  Thanks.  I've bought all my books but one -- which hasn't come in yet.  My books cost me $47.00!  I'll have to buy a regulation white blouse and regulation gym shorts.  

For now I'm in pretty good financial shape.  I've got $50.00 here and $100.00 in the bank in Newberg.

OH.  Saturday nite we had to go to a banquet.  Some of the ladies & students had on long dresses (Formals).  We had to go through a line and smile, shake hands, and say "how do you do?"  We had to do this to about 20 people!  Everyone was real dressed up!  I wore my new blue suit.  And my loafers!  My new green shoes didn't go with the blue suit!

I had to buy a "Harper Study Bible" for $9.95.  We have a nice book store, etc.  It is pretty big for a small school.  

I've got to go.  Do write.

Love,

Roberta

I'll find out about the telephone # and switch-board.

Breakfast 7:15-7:30

Lunch 12:15-1:00

Supper 6:00-6:30

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album