Sunday, October 06, 2019

1979 Catherine's Letter to John -Aug.13


Monday, August 13, 1979

Dear John,

Sorry I have been so slow in answering your letter.  I assume you have heard by now that Wendy and I are coming to Ohio for the big event.  We are to leave next Tuesday evening.  It will be interesting to see how Wendy handles the trip. 

We had a good time while Mary was here although she probably thought I worked her too hard.

I have been busy here pulling weeds.  They think now that we will get some grass next month although they still have not hired anyone to do the job.  I have been trying to work extra hours this month to make up for the week that I will be gone.  Gerry has been super busy at work with it now being the harvest season.

The Jefferson County Fair was last week and it is definitely the highlight of the year in Madras.  On Saturday morning they blocked off the street downtown and had a big parade with lots of horses, floats, cars, farm equipment, kids on bicycles, etc.  Wendy really like it.  Plus there was a big crowd on hand lining both sides of the street.  It was the most people I've ever seen in Madras.

After the parade there was a Churchmen's BBQ at the fairgrounds so we went to that.  I had to furnish two pies.  Then Saturday afternoon we took DeeDee to the airport for her flight back to San Diego.  I think she was a little anxious to get back to see her mother after having been gone most of the summer.  She and her mother may be moving to an apartment since her uncle who owns the house where they live now wants to raise the rent from $200 to $400.  DeeDee is excited about that since there are lots of kids at the apartments and a swimming pool.

I think of you when I go to the bank.  How is the job going?  I assume they are going to give you some time off for a honeymoon.  How is the library in Newark?  I'm sure Dad has checked it out if he has been there.  Well, better go.  See you soon!

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album