Wednesday, October 30, 2019

1979 Roberta's Letter -Sep.9

Sunday 11:00 A.M.
[9/9/79]
Dear Family,

Just got home from Church -- we just can't seem to make it to the 8:30 service -- bud do fine in getting to the 9:45 service -- and I want to get this out in the 12:00 noon pick-up so may seem a bit hurried.

Your letter (along with a letter from Serena) came yesterday.  Thanks . . . . . also for the generous Wells check.  I found a cute cartoon just yesterday about a company that had a computer . . . . and how it was there to keep the employees on the ball . . . . well, guess you would have to see it in order to the whole effect . . . or is it affect.

We sure had the heat lately.  It's hard to dress for at school there are buildings that are so cold I get goose bumps all over me, then outside its 109ยบ.  Here we keep the AC at 80 -- which feels good when you first come in, but after being in for awhile, doesn't seem all that comfortable.  I just don't know how the pioneers made it.

Yesterday we took five boxes out to a new place I read about in the paper for selling alum. cans.  This place paid 23 cents per pound, as compared to 16 cents where we took them before.  We had to put them on this huge cart -- boxes and all.  Then cart and all were weighed and the guy gave me a slip that said weight 156, minus 106 -- 50 pounds.  Then I took that to a cashier and she gave me $11.50!!!!!!  Now that was just unbelievable !!!!  I still don't see how we had 50 pounds of cans, because the last time we only had 30 pounds (tho we have no proof either time) and we didn't have that many more.  This time we did see the scale and all, where the last time you put them (cans) in a machine and then the machine spit out money to you.  This new place is just a block or two further than the other place.  It's on center near University.  Its called BIRP.  They will also buy newspapers and steel containers -- both for 1 cent a pound.  I figure that's not worth messing with.  Also glass -- but price is very low.  Now this $11.50 worth we got between Tuesday and Saturday.  And very little time -- and virtually no extra gas used.  I've gotten into the habit of going over to the small park -- near Rhodes school every day.  Also most days -- without any effort I get two plastic bags full at school.  Then there are some construction sights (guess that should be sites) very near us . . . . . I find the lunch spots for the crews -- and always alot of cans there.

Have you all heard from Serena since she went to Chicago????  I'm glad that it worked out for her to go up with Debbie.  Did she take very much stuff with her???

I plan to go to school today . . . . get more cans.  I have so much reading to do, most of which is not allowed to be taken out of the library.  On Reserve, two hour limit.  Most of the readings are not what you call quick, enjoyable type.  In my one class I have a small paper due Wednesday.  On leadership.  To quote from the teacher "a small paper, two or three pages,"  Then something about she wanted us to get into practice.  I'm afraid for what is to follow.  We do have a big "deal" of some sort in that class to do -- but as of yet -- she doesn't have the details out.  Guess the first week all the machines - ditto, etc. in the dept. were down.  Kind of slowed things down some. 

One of my classes, something about Administration and Recreation, the book won't be in till later this month.  But the Professor is so full of hot air, seems to be we could get by without a book.  I have this man (Haley) for two classes.  He really is a character.  Grew up in Boston, went to Ohio State, loves to pick on Yankees and people from Scottsdale.  He pointed out Friday how Scottsdale is really a ghetto -- according to the definition of ghetto.

Friday was the second meeting of the special topics class -- in order to get an A out of that class you have to work on some sort of project and then present it to the class.  (now 7 people) or at least that was how many were there Friday.  I am thinking of doing something on CHURCH PROGRAMS FOR SENIOR CITIZENS -- or something on that line.  There is a new minister down at 1st United who is primarily working with senior citizens.  I talked with him some on Wednesday -- at the $1 supper.  It was Mexican night -- two taco's, rice, beans, and very little salad, two cookies -- not bad.  We did stay for the Bible Study -- Agnes enjoyed very much, but Fred kept asking how much longer.  Finally -- almost to the end -- Marion got up and took Fred home.  I don't think we will try that again.  Probably one of us take him home directly after the meal. 

I seem to be having all sorts of problems with my shoes.  First of all the sandals that I wore in New Vienna this summer -- the custom made ones -- well the strap broke -- the one that hold the buckle near the ankle.  So I took them out to get fixed -- or should say to get an estimate on how much.  The answer was between $15 to $20 -- because he pointed out several other things -- like the soles -- etc that need fixed.  So I simply said, I wanted to think about it.  Then I started wearing the other custom-made ones that I had stretched in Wilmington -- and they wore two bad places -- one per foot.  So I put them aside and got out the pair I had bought in India -- and had them on one day -- and got two new sore places -- right at the top of the foot.  So now I'm wearing a pair of sandals that I have started to throw out several times.  They don't hurt my feet at all, but are just not comfortable.  They are similar to thongs.  Then yesterday I was looking at the paper and saw BIRKENSTOCK sandals advertised.  Mother, perhaps you remember, they are the ones that I found in New Jersey, and liked so well, then we went over to look at them, and Serena got a pair.  They are really suppose to be good sandals, good for the feet, etc.  Last year I talked to someone at work who had a pair -- but she had gone to Tucson to get them.  Their new shop is right near ASU -- I plan to take some of the Wells check to get them.  I figure thats money well spent.  I looked and looked for sandals -- Famolare -- but no luck here either.  Alot of stores are going to quit carrying them -- say that they are too hard to keep in supply -- orders are to hard to get in.  I'm anxious to see selection of these Birkenstock -- plan to make a trip over there on Monday.  Will let you know.

Gotta go -- Hope all is fine -- would you like recent picture of Buffy?

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album