Wednesday, January 16, 2019

1969 Catherine's Letter -Jan.13


1/13/69
Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  Sorry I haven't written very much but things have been happening so fast around here I almost have to carry my toothbrush around for a couple hours to find a spare minute to stick it in my mouth.

Let's go back to the day I arrived here around 7AM January 4.  (I'm writing this letter with the aid of my diary - ha)  There wasn't anyone else around so I had all day to get packed-un, and rested up.  Bob had brought his stuff up on Saturday to get it unloaded and noticed the light in my room so he came over.  We couldn't do much 'cause per was at 10:30.  We ended up going to his house (he lives in Marcellus, you can look it up on the map) and we made home made ice cream.  His parents are really nice, they have a nice house, and I thoroughly enjoyed the visit.  Just to throw in a few interesting facts: he's the only offspring and his last name (yes, Mother pay attention) is Foncannon.  His parents are both school teachers and they grown Christmas trees on the farm.  Then classes started and I didn't see Bob much except at meals, and we studied together sometimes, and on the weekend.  In other words I haven't seen much of anyone else.

As for the classes:  German is a real challenge.  There are only 12 in the class and 2 or 3 of those are auditing.  She really throws the stuff at us fast.  I don't know how much I get but the exposure is good.  History is pretty interesting.  We're studying the Reconstruction Period right now.  Last week was all lecture and this week is discussion of The Tragic Era one of the four books we read for the course.  Psychology is pure torture.  It only meets one hour a week for lecture, which isn't bad at all.  But, the book is divided into 15 units and every time we complete a unit and feel we have mastered the subject matter we have to go and have an interview with our teachers assistant and we're supposed to talk for half an hour on what we've learned.  I've gotten through one so at least I only have 14 more.

The business office has hired me to work 10 hours a week which are 11-12 and 3-4 every day in the snack bar except Tuesday when I'm supposed to have a class in the afternoon.  To make up that hour I work from 12:45-1:45 on Sundays.  I'm not going to make nearly as much money this quarter, mainly because I'm not working so much and there are other things I'd rather do.

I just got back from swimming with Gerti and found your message.  I'm sorry about Granddad.  If I thought there was some way I could help I'd cut classes and come home tomorrow but I think I can accomplish about as much here.  My spirit and sympathies will be there but I'll think of him in the backyard swing.

We've only had 23 inches of snow – at least that is all that is on the ground right now.  I'm getting a little sick of looking at it.  At least Bob has a car so we don't have to walk everyplace, not that there are so many places to go in the middle of January anyway.

If you recall I mentioned Greg several times in the past.  Well, I hadn't seen him at all this quarter.  He'd called a couple times but I was never in so he finally left a message that he'd be up to get me for dinner.  I got a little ticked when he showed up 1/2 hour late (relative, fooey).  We did get through the dinner successfully even though at one point I ran into Bob and had to tell him about how I was explaining a few things to an old friend.  Hmmmm.  And then Greg and I parted with an extremely civil, "maybe I'll see you again sometime."

I'll keep you posted on the CS [career service, coming up in Spring 1969] If I do go to Chicago there are several possibilities: Museum of Science and Industry, Carson Pirie Scott & Co., Marshall Field, and Newberry Library.

Bob's coming over in a few minutes so I better be finishing this off.  My regards to everyone and I'll be thinking about you all.

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album