Thursday, January 24, 2019

1949 Jean's Letter -Jan.24


Sunday 1/24/49
Dearest Mother & Daddy,

We just got home from Church (Franklin Circle Christian) and Harold is studying so I thought I'd drop a line before filling that knowing feeling he gets so soon after church.  We ate a whole recipe of waffles plus a half a large grapefruit and its still with me.

By the way, Thursday when I went to see Dr. Weir, he said that I hadn't gained any more so wouldn't have to stick to any diet Dr. Bill had suggested.

Tomorrow I'm to go the dentist and meet June Gilbert at 10:00 just an hour before her appointment with him (the same Dr. Davis).

We decided not to paint the bassinet as it looks ok with the lining on it – very nice the lining is – and so it has all been wrapped in a sheet and put away until needed.

The four kimonos and wrapping blankets came yesterday afternoon so I don't need anything at all now.  They are all so pretty – nicer than any at the stores here in Cleveland.

I had thank-you notes from Mrs. Cochran and Harriette for the Christmas gifts.  I thanked Bob over the phone but guess I should have written.  Perhaps I'll write later this afternoon.

We'd love to have you over anytime you can come except just before the 7th (Monday) – which is Harold's hardest exam – that's two weeks from tomorrow.  Any other time would suit us OK.

We have been thinking more about names again – especially as two doctors have thought it would be a boy.  Do you like the name Timothy Wallace?  Better than Wallace Ballantyne?  We think we do – would appreciate your opinion in the matter.  Haven't chosen Timothy for any special reason – just like the name – also nickname Tim or Timmy.

I finally finished the booties and nightgown (which I trimmed with blue ric-rac).  I want to make a couple of bath aprons and still have material cut for another kimono.

Got 4 huge grapefruit at the market yesterday for 25¢.  Also 5 pink ones for same price.  Nice bananas 10¢ lb., lettuce, celery, pears 3# for 29¢, apples (Jonathan) 3# 29¢, carrots, onions, tangerines, milk – 2 qts of homogenized in carton – 35¢, diced beets (frozen) – 7¢.  Bought 55 birth announcements – all they had in one kind – waiting to hear from you about any musts to send to. 

Love,
Jean & Harold

1 comment:

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

From HH: Wow, letters especially interesting that Peaches wrote just a few days before your birth. The morning we went to the hospital for the delivery was a cold day with snow. Oh yes the exam was the final test in that course and I found out about the birth after finishing the exam. As I recall some 70 years later the hospital bill was just a couple hundred dollars and the MD fee was $150.00. Do you have a record how long you stayed in the hospital? The 4 grapefruit for a quarter was a sign of price levels.

Items from Uible photo album