Friday, November 09, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -Nov.7

11/1/78
Monday Morning
Dear Family,

Was getting ready to sit down and handwrite a letter, then thought why not use the typewriter in the Office.  Mondays are always busy days, esp. today because we put an add in the paper advertising for temporary help, so have had lots of calls about that, and a few people to come in the office.  When ever we need temp's – its a good way for us to make money.  We charge the company depending upon who they want – between $6 and $8 buck an hour, then we pay the person working about $3 an hour depending upon skills, so after taxes, etc. there is still money in it.

The garage sale over the weekend went pretty well.  Marion brought in over $150 and that was not selling any antiques, so considering small staff that's not bad at all.  It was originally just suppose to be for Friday and Saturday, then they did so well, and there was still so much stuff that they decided to also be open yesterday . . . so it made for a busy weekend..

Besides all that, Marion's grades are due in today – or rather tomorrow – so she spent most of the weekend grading books (notebooks) when not selling.  I averaged the grades out for three of her classes that she was done in grading.  She hoped to turn them in today, but there is still little to do tonight.

Tonight we are taking this Irene out, who lives just off Alma School on Main, in a trailer park.  She is the aunt of these people I have known at the farm. From upstate New York herself – very enjoyable.  She is about 65-70 – has M.S. and says she doesn't know what she has ahead of her as far as that goes.

Our plans for Thanksgiving are still up in the air.  I plan to stay here – the Stubbs have invited me over for Turkey but I'm not worried as to how to spend the time.  I do have off the Friday after too . . . which will be nice.  Marion tried to get reservations for Denver, but tried to late, so is waitlisted for the exact days she wants to go and come.  I.T. had planned to come here, but her Mother is not well, so she doesn't want to leave Denver.

I had a call Saturday morning –during the few minutes that we were home, from one of the trailer courts that I applied for work at.  It was the largest one – some 1600 spaces.  The lady that interviewed me – the head one for activities – somehow is no longer there and they want to find someone to replace her – right away.  They are to talk to me today but I think I'll be staying here.  Seems that I have a good deal here, and I enjoy what I am doing very much.

Just found out yesterday that the lady I feed at the nursing home is 98 years old.  I always stop in to see her on Sundays when we transport Mr. Williams.

Am going to cut this short for now, so I can do a little needlepoint, just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day.

Your last letter was sure light – I must have gotten last copy!  Still haven't made yogurt yet – here – at 1 of the stores you can almost always buy it 5 for a dollar that's pretty good price.  I usually take yogurt for lunch – we have hot water here for tea – but no refrigerator so had to pack a lunch.

Since October 1st – I've finished  4  stitchery things – and have  6  going now.  I really have good start on them – 1 almost done – the small ones I bring to work – can work on them when slow – and a good conversation piece.

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album