Thursday, November 01, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -Oct.29


10/29/78

Hi!  Remember when?  Was cleaning (yes! please note the word!) & found lots of stationery – but never did find the large hoop for embroidery which was what I was looking for.  I've started another large daisy [?] picture  must have it about 1/4 done – but am using the small hoop which I have to be constantly moving.

We've had a busy weekend.  Seems now that I'm working – weekends are very busy.  When I worked at the school – I could still do lots of running around – errand wise  etc. after school – but now don't get home till close to 5:30 – so every things gets put off till Saturdays and Sundays.

We went to early morning church – (8:15) – so its nice to come home & still have most of the day ahead of us – We have started to be "taxi" for this old man who lives way cross town – just past the church.  His wife is in the nursing home where we go on Thursday nights.  He doesn't drive – so very seldom got in to see his wife.  So Wednesday afternoons & also Sunday afternoons we play taxi.  He really is a character – loves to talk – has great sense of humor – him & Marian make for a fun time.  He loves it!  He really hasn't driven for like 2 years – but sold his 1970 Maverick this last year – w/ 13,000 miles on it – we have more than that in the truck now!

I'm still playing w/ the idea of buying an electric typewriter – want the kind w/ cartridge – went to Mesa's office supply store yesterday – the 1 that that has been in business forever – they have a deal going on now where if you trade in a typewriter they will give you $60 off – so Marian has this old clunker of 1 – I/We tried to sell it for $5 at typewriter repair place – he said it wasn't worth it – so I might try to get $60 out of it now w their trade-in deal.  If I do get a typewriter – think I'll also get a cheap table for it – so I can keep it out all the time – I know I would use it – esp. for letter writing.  If I did get you all would be welcome to put $ toward typewriter for Christmas this year.  At work – we (they) just got a new card type-writer – IBM w/memory – at $12,000 makes a $280 1 seem cheap.  I'm interested in Smith Corona #2200.  It is nice!

We are going to participate in a carport sale next weekend – Marian has loads of stuff she wants to get rid of – should be interesting.  Dorothy Stubbs – my friend from Mesa Central is having it. 

I got a letter from Catherine – seems they like Madras – that they are well located & all that stuff.  Guess Wendy Jean won't be going out trick-or-treating this year.  Oh – Marian has a sign to put out at the gate. "WELCOME KIDDIES!"  That's in big letters – then "Leave all your Goodies in the box below!  go quietly & no-one will get hurt."!  Of course it's a yellow sign!  We did buy some Reece Cups should anyone come past the gate!

I've really been working on crewel/needlepoint – I have hopes – of doing Christmas presents for all this year – or at least a little something handmade.

Work is going fine – I really enjoy it!  Of course the phone has never bothered me – & that's the biggest part of the job.  1) getting job orders.  2) call-ins from ads we put in paper – getting them to come in & fill out applications.

We are taking Buffie to Nursing home today – the old people love that!

OK – gotta go –– sorry I missed you yesterday Dad – good to talk to Mom & Mara Va –––

Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album