Saturday, November 17, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -Nov.16

[11/16/78]
Wednesday AM –
Good Morning!

Yes – I'm at home this week – went in Monday AM – finally told Barbara about 11:00 that I had decided to quit – that I would work through the week – she was very nice – said I had done a bang up of a job –how the phones had been ringing more – more people in the office.  I made more placements & got more job orders than anyone ever before.

I explained to her how the collection part was not for me – how I hated it – how it discouraged me from placing people – because I dreaded the collection part.  So w/in the hour – after telling her – I had my desk clean (I had actually already done it) & came home.  Barbara said how I took the time-trouble to meet everyone in the office complex & what good business practice that was.  In no way could I let her know that I took a job – that I got while at A-Z.

Thought about calling D-B people – telling them I could start earlier but then decided I'd just as soon take this week easy – so I've been cleaning inside house & it really looks good.  Want to start on the shed today.  Hopefully I'll get some stitchery done too.

Also sold the Victrolia (sp? old record player) yesterday.  Marian just got it this last summer – we brought it out in the truck.  She was going to refinish it – but her hands are very bad – besides we don't have room for it – it was floor model – nothing small.  I called up 22 antique dealers – only 3 showed any interest – for the price – only 2 said they would come out – only one came out & he bought it – I said $125 on the phone – he wanted to pay $100 – after much silence & little talk I (we) settled on $125 – Actually the guy was really friendly – he talked & talked – said I should go into business.  He thought we lived in an interesting place – wait till you all the see the antiques on Marian's shelves.

Marian had wanted me to sell the Victrolia – when she came home from school – I didn't tell her – about 10 minutes later she realized it wasn't sitting in the middle of the floor – where it had been since last weekend – in the living room.  Now the room seems bigger.

Fed-Mart is opening up a new store today in Mesa – Dobson/Broadway – not far from us.  Not a new building – but used to be a                          that went out of business.

Mary Va – we got your letter yesterday – Thanks.  We think it would be best for you to go to Westwood – here in Mesa – it is a public school – right off Alma School Rd – about 2.5 miles from here going North.  University is the big street it's near if you have a map.

We both think you would be happier going to school in Mesa – than Scottsdale –

OH!  Had something really funny happen yesterday – was expecting the other antique dealer (the one that didn't come) – I hear a car – in front – go out – introduce myself – bring him in – show him the Victrolia – start to play it for him – really going strong – & he hands me one of his cards – earlier he had wanted to know if I recognized him – he is Associate Minister at Grace Methodist – I asked him if he had ever been accused of being in the antique business.  He said No – but many other things.  It was funny – he stayed about half hour – a semi-retired minister from Kansas.  He wants to get a Young Singles Group started at the church – I said #1 I wasn't young – #2 – just because I was single didn't mean I was lonely & had lots of time.  (said them in a nice way).  I said I would like to get active as for us visiting shut-ins – or people in nursing homes.  He said that would be no problem – to get active in.

Tonight I'm going to this meeting for all Mealtime Assistance Program (MAP) volunteers.  Doreen is also going.  W/ my new job – we are going to go down to feed on Sunday nights.  We take Mr. Williams on Sunday – so it will be very convenient – I can either stay while Marian delivers him back home – or arrange either delivering him – before or after.

It's nice being home – knowing that I'll be back working next week.  Saturday we went out – to D-B Hardware – I introduced Marian to Bobbie – who hired me – She & her husband Dan own the store.  It's an ACE hardware – if that means anything.  I was very bored – but Marian felt right at home in a hardware store.

Marian is going to Denver – leaving Thursday (Thanksgiving Morning) – getting back Sunday Morning.  I'll have Dinner w/ Stubbs.  Will take Buffie over – he can play w/ Buckwheat their dog.  We always take him over w/ us.

Still rain today – I took the 2 glass pieces that have been sitting in the shed – one that was taken out of the truck & one that was taken out of the shell – when I had the "Boot" put in.  Also 2 side mirrors that had been in storage in shed.  Took them to  4  junk dealers (Auto) – the last place – I begged the guy to take all  4  pieces for $2.00 – he hesitated – then gave me a $1 dollar bill & 4 quarters.  It wasn't worth my time – nor money!!  Seems most of the places just buy total cars – junkyards.  It still amazed me – that Marian got $600 out of the Buick – but Rene Mendes saw the people & car recently.  They live near him – they even got the Buick painted!  I'm not even sure of the color.  They have had no trouble w/ it.

Mary Virginia – I'm listening to Charlie Pride – the record – I never did find the tape – where did you hide it?????

Time for me to get on the ball – this morning Diamond's Dept. Store is having a special stitchery display – I'm going out for it.

OH!  Barbara said if I wanted to use her as a reference I could – she would give me a a good one.  But she didn't have $ to pay me this week!  I bet they use A-Z as a tax write-off.

Love,
Berta

PS How is Oscar?

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album