Thursday, November 08, 2018

1988 MV's Letter -Nov.

[11-?-88]
Dear Mom and Dad,

Sorry I haven't written in so long.  In many ways I feel as if I'm still catching up after the Emmaus walk.

It's getting to be the busy part of the semester – tests and papers are all due within the next month it seems.  I'm sorry now that I signed up for 15 hours. Next semester I'm only taking 12, and the additional 3 hours in January.

Last night I went to Louisville to hear the Radio Stuttgart Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Neville Marriner.  It was an excellent concert, at the new Kentucky Center for the Arts right downtown Louisville, just a block from the river.  The building is gorgeous – built just 5 years ago.  It makes Music Hall look ancient.  I've got tickets to see/hear 2 more concerts there – in January, Kathleen Battle will do a recital (well-known Soprano) and in March Vladimir Feltsman, the great Russian pianist.  Roberta Peters is in Lexington tomorrow night, but tickets start at $20!

Enclosed is a note from Bill Trimble here who is recently from Cincinnati, originally Pittsburgh  He's just over friendly I guess.

This weekend is the Women's Walk in Lexington; Diane & I are sponsoring a girl from here at school.  I don't know why but Lexington has never had a waiting list for their Walks.  I'll be interested to see how they do candlelight and closing.  Their walks are held at the Children's Home (Methodist) near Versailles.

The list for Thanksgiving has grown.  Diane and Margaret (from Africa) will be coming again this year.  In addition Diane's boyfriend, Kevin, Betsy from Georgia, Vicky from Jamaica, John from New Jersey, Don from Texas and Sally from Japan.  I realize that is a lot of people; we can sleep in the living room (none of them expect real beds).  If you take care of the turkey, we will do the rest – including breakfast Thursday morning.  They are not coming to be fed and entertained – we need a break from school.  They think it's wonderful that you're opening your home to them.  Is Serena coming home?

Enclosed are my new business cards.  I have already started two new voice students, with the possibility of 3-4 more at least.  I think after Christmas I'll be ready to leave Zondervan.

Dad – I got some notice from Tenneco yesterday  I haven't had a chance to go over it.  Do you know what I'm speaking of?  If so, what, if anything, do I need to do?  You can send the bill for your counsel with your answer, 🌞

Hope Grandma enjoyed her trip to Phoenix and recovers well.  Aways glad to hear from you.

Much love,
Mary Virginia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was my second year at Asbury and I remember the concert series well -- it was unbelievably good and worth every penny. Among those who traveled, "Don from Texas", who had also gone to the concert in Louisville with me as my date...but we were just friends and I didn't think it worth mentioning in the letter!

Items from Uible photo album