Sunday, November 18, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -Nov.18

[11/18/78]
Saturday afternoon
4:30 pm – 
Hi!

Just a short note – as want to get this in w/ Marian's pile (a note to her folks & bills) to get in the 5:00 pick up.

Got your letter today – bet you were shocked about my changing jobs.  I've gotten a hold of Labor Relations Board – they will be sending a person out this coming week to talk to me.  It's a long story – but I know there is something wrong w/ A-Z.  I never filled out a W-4 form – when you get paid – it's like a personal check – no receipt – no mention of deductions.  My 1st check was for 1 weeks pay – (w/held 1 week) now for 3 weeks pay – picked it up Wednesday – I got $213.00 – again no receipt – what it was to cover – or to dates – but asked Debbie (the receptionist) she said for the rest of the $ they owed me – which is what I asked for – I was supposedly guaranteed $500 a month – and I don't think  even w/ deductions – if they were taken out – the 2 checks don't come close to that.  First I wasn't going to make a production of it – then I thought no I should check it out.  Plus the fact – it makes me mad – when an employee gives a week's notice – of intention to quit – an employer can send you home immediately – esp. when I did such a "bang-up" job.

My new job is not civil service – but it is rumored that sub-stations – which are in stores – will go civil service – now they are budgeted by P.O. – I really like the owners of the store – young couple – but my – what a time to be trained.  They have had the store 4 1/2 years – the P.O. – going on 2 years.  They say it really helps their business.  It is in a small shopping center.  There is a book store (NICE) 2 doors down.  I get 1/2 hour (1:00-1:30) for lunch.  They have a refrigerator there – so I'll no doubt be packing lunches – most days.  There is a McDonalds & a Wendy's nearby.  The McD's is in the shopping area, Wendy's is just across the street.

My hair is almost dry – got a curly permanent today – seems like a good one.  You all aren't the only one w/ curls!

We ate at Granny Annie's last night – but at 4:00 – so we had LUNCH – last group – under hot plates.  With those you get small bowl of rhubarb – 1/6 cantaloupe – 1/4 gr'fruit.  Really good!!  Thought their desserts on the back page were creative – esp. the Church Goer's Social.

OK – gotta go – time has run out –

Love, 
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album