Monday, November 19, 2018

1968 Catherine's Letter -Nov.19

November 19, 1968
Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John and Mary,

Hi!  I was glad to hear from you all today.  It certainly sounds like you are keeping busy.  Even if I came home you all would probably be so busy going to meetings, delivering papers, and running around the state to notice me.  At least this way I can read about what you are doing!

I've been rather busy myself.  Since I got my job back in the snack bar that entails one hour a day, plus the special parties, and the subbing I do for other people.  Like Friday, I mean Thursday, the one lady who works in the Snack Bar is going to the Dr's so I will be working a couple hours then.  I also work in the salad dept. for a couple hours on Saturday.

Physics isn't getting any easier but last week on the quiz I got a 60% – my highest grade of the quarter in physics so I was really proud – however, compared to the rest of the class it was probably still at the bottom.  Three weeks from tomorrow will be the final exam.  If I could Ace it, it might pull my grade up to a C-.  The chances of that are like one in a million though.  Maybe he'll take pity on me – I do hand in the homework and the data in my lab book is recorded very neatly.  If only we were graded on the neatness of the lab books . . . HA!

What kind of has me bothered now is that next quarter I will be taking chemistry and biology will probably be getting more difficult too.  I think what it all narrows down to is that I don't like to study.  I like German because if I study it long enough I can understand it.  I suppose that when you are doing well in something (at least doing well relative to physics) there is more motivation to study.  Another problem I have is that I hate to read.  I open the biology book, read one paragraph, realize that I have no idea what I read, reread the paragraph, and at that point usually fall asleep.  Maybe I lack the power of concentration.  I don't even get that far when I read physics – I usually fall asleep just thinking about reading it.  I got a book out of the library which is programmed physics (similar to the math I took at EC) and I can get through it because I have to respond after every sentence.  I can become actively involved since I obviously am not passively inspired by textbooks.

Sunday a couple from the church came to visit me and let me know the Church (namely the First United Methodist Church of Kalamazoo) is thinking about me.  It was nice to meet the people but the pledge card which came with the visit made it look like they were more interested in my money.  However, they informed me that as a college student I was only expected to contribute what I could when I could.  I also got a letter from NV church about the Every Member Canvass.

Thanks for the frivolous gift.  The first thing that came to my mind was doing my laundry but I figured that wouldn't come under your definition of frivolous.  As a result I haven't spent the money yet and I haven't done my laundry either.

I have some more letters to write, German to study, and if I get around to it I might even attempt some physics.

Write soon!

Love, 
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album