Thursday, November 15, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -Nov.12

[11/12/78]
Sunday Morning
Good Morning!

Have I got news for all of you – don't know if I should tell you all right away – or keep you in suspense – tell later in the letter!

We've really had a cold (in the 60's) & rainy weekend.  Started Friday night and still at it.  The funny thing about it is that this was the 2nd weekend we were to go camping w/ the Stubbs – they did go Friday night – we talked about going up Saturday morning – I did drive Doreen up – talked to them awhile – then came right back.  They called us at 2:00 yesterday afternoon – from home.  Maybe another weekend.

This was no weekend to have a garage sale – thank goodness we planned that right!  Marian did sell the old white dresser in the shed – which we used for storage – both in the drawers & piled on top.  So she bought some metal storage cabinets which need to be finished put together – when the rain quits (the sun starts).  She got $3 out of the old dresser – not bad when you consider she got for free – it was on its way to the dump – just before she moved here (to #140 this side of town.)

We just got back from early (8:15) Church – crowds – out-of-state licenses are really picking up.  Today was pledge Sunday – lay service – except that I'm not wild about the minister – really do like the church.

Missed work on Friday – went in – but by 9:00-9:30 was really felling sick – so came home.  1st day I'd missed – Felt better by mid afternoon – but didn't bother to go back in – afternoons are usually slow – esp. Fridays!  Did some needlepoint – Christmas is sure approaching.

OK – as for my news – won't make you all wait any more –

On Monday – November 20th – I'll be starting a new job – got official word Friday night.  It's about same distance from here except 1.5 miles south of us – then West – 4 miles.  I'll be running a sub-station post office – which is in a hardware store.  Couldn't pick a harder or busier time to start.  Will be doing everything postal people do – but can't handle foreign packages.  Hours are 9:00-5:00 M-F for sub-station.  I'll have to be there both earlier (probably 8:30-5:30) to do opening/closing reports etc.

It should be an interesting job – & not that I'l get stamps at a discount – at least they will be handy.  I'm not supposed to wear clothes that I'm afraid will get dirty – they suggest jeans – sweatshirts – so I shouldn't have any problem there -

Although I liked parts of my job at A-Z – it seemed very apparent to me – that there was more I didn't like than I liked – I hated the collection part of it all.  I started to get the idea of it 2+ weeks ago – when I was calling on people who were overdue.  They were either 1) rude 2) lied – said that they would be in the next day, etc. – never showed up.  Then this last week it was my turn to hound those I placed – I'm not interested in being a collection agency.  Barbara wanted me to call them from home – 5:00 AM –  What a way to start your day.

So tomorrow I'm going to tell her that this is my last week.  I'm hoping to be able to work all week – but time will tell.  I did make a placement ($20 down) on Thursday.  At least the P.O. job will be simply – cash/carry.  Should Barbara not want me to work the full week there is plenty of stuff I can do here.  She has a bad temper – has never used it on me – but I've sure seen & heard it.

We had planned to go see "The King & I" last night – Community Theater group was putting it on at Carefree – about 1 hour from here – but there were flood warnings out – etc. so stayed home.

Carpet really looks good – after being cleaned – esp. the downstairs.

I'll kepp you all posted as to this week's happenings ––

Had the heater on in the truck this AM – but not on yet inside the house ––

Love,
Aberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album