Sunday, October 21, 2018

1978 Catherine's Letter -Oct.17

Tuesday morning
October 17, 1978
Dear Mother, Dad, and Mary Virginia,

Hi!  Your letter arrived yesterday after taking a detour through Sisters, Oregon.  Don't ask me why it went through there as I'm sure that isn't a central distribution point but they had their postmark on the back of the envelope.

Here are the pictures from Wendy's birthday.  There is a good one of Aunt Mary, Grandma & Wendy which I'm sending to Grandma.

Last Thursday I went to a United Methodist Women's luncheon.  One of the ladies I had met the first Sunday, a friend of Fred's wife, asked me to go as her guest.  They had a nursery and she took her 3-yr. old granddaughter.  It was held at the church and everybody brought either salad, bread, or dessert.  Wendy started crying as soon as I left her but some of the other mothers convinced me I should give her a chance to cry it out.  Forty-five minutes later when I had finished eating I could still hear her crying so I got her and held her for the program which only lasted about 20 minutes and she sat perfectly still on my lap which she would have never done otherwise.  There were about 25 women there altogether and I would guess about eight of them were in my age bracket.  There were two mothers with babies younger than Wendy.  The program was a slide show on Walter the Fish.  did you ever hear of that?

Sunday we took Wendy into the church with us as I didn't think it fair for the babysitters to have to put up with here.  There were about 20 kids and 2 babysitters.  They have very good attendance.  The first two Sundays I would say there were around 125-150 people but this past Sunday it was really crowded so there might have been close to 200.  The sermon was on World Hunger.

I met a girl downtown with a two-year-old son and they came over last Friday afternoon.  I didn't know they were coming though and Wendy had missed her morning nap and slept the whole time they were here.  It turned out that they are from Santa Cruz.  Tomorrow Wendy and I are going to a LaLeche meeting.  I had met this couple at the library with a 5-month old son and then saw them again at church and she said she would stop by and pick us up as the meeting is in the country.

The Welcome Wagon lady showed up last week just as I was leaving for the church luncheon so I sent her across the way to see Georgette, our newlywed neighbor.  She came back here yesterday so now Georgette and I are going out this afternoon to collect some of our gifts from the merchants.  Also included is a free steak dinner from Kah-nee-tah.  They also included the menu showing what else they serve.  This is at the fancy restaurant and the steak is valued at $9.95.  I guess they also have a coffee shop.  We'll have to go and check the place out.

I must have had some sort of virus because I got sick after church on Sunday and couldn't keep any food down for the rest of the day.  I felt pretty awful but at least Gerry was home to help take care of Wendy.  Yesterday I felt better and today I seem to be back to normal so at least it didn't last long.  I just hope that Wendy & Gerry don't get it.

I had meant to call this morning but it was 8:00 before I realized it.  Tomorrow I'll try to think of it as soon as Gerry gets off for work.  He usually leaves between 7:40 - 7:45.

The Sanders Motel [Where we stayed when passing through Madras on the 1962 World's Fair trip] is not listed in the phone book.  I'll see what I can find out about it.  The lady at the library has been friendlier lately.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry 
& Wendy

PS  Gerry's father is doing better now that he can be more active.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album