Wednesday, October 10, 2018

1948 Jean's Letter -Sept.19


Sunday
Sept. 19, 1948
Dearest Mother and Daddy,

We were so glad to hear that Bob is out of the hospital and at home with the children.  Is he able to be on his feet at all – have any nurses?  I don't believe you said.

Thursday was my half day – and I didn't have to go until 6:00 PM to 9:00.  I decided to try the Electric Mixer and stove with a little more patience I made a devils' food cake with fudge icing and it was very good and has stayed fresh fine.  After I had half the ingredients mixed I noticed the recipe called for sour milk and I couldn't remember where I'd seen how to change sweet to sour.  I spent a half hour desperately searching with no luck & finally guessed that 1 teaspoon of vinegar might do it.

We went to the A&P that afternoon and bought some fish which we planned to have for dinner before I left for the library.  After turning the oven lower I put the time on & forgot it until time to take it out, only to find the fire had gone completely out & the fish had just started to bake.  We ate a snack & then had our dinner at 9:30 when I got home – what a day.

Friday I went up to Main & learned there that Miss Hoffman who is to take my place at North is to come down the 27th of Sept.  I'm to take her to the schools to introduce her – familiarize her with the work at North and be prepared to start to work at Main myself on Oct. 1.  It was rather a shock to me and a surprise to Miss Stromfors as I had thought I'd be at North til about Nov. 1.  I probably won't be working full time because they are getting two other part time people.  [Miss Guidovee (Bobby Smith) is leaving in December] and East Cleveland can't afford too many on the payroll yet must take a leap now while people are willing to start to work.  Beside that suits me better not to have to be there full time.

Today we went up to hear Dr. Phillips – his 2nd Sunday back since his vacation.  We introduced ourselves afterward mentioning New Vienna and he seemed more than delighted to have us there – asking if we were living in Cleveland and had his secretary take our names & where to get in touch with us for lunch sometime.  She told us about the "Young Peoples" Group & said she'd put us on the mailing list.  I've always like Dr. Phillips but even more so now.  I do hope to get to know him better.

This morning we had the last of the eggs we brought back from New Vienna – over a month old but still good.  For dinner I decided to try Swiss Steak your way – with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.  It was delicious & so was the gravy & potatoes & everything.  The steak was not at all greasy like the first one I fixed – and I really ate more than I should have.  We ate about 3:30 and now at 9:00 I feel as full as right after dinner.

This week I'm to have the Special School Assemblies at Mayfair and Chambers to give out the Bookmarks.  And also it is my week to see Dr. Weir.  I haven't made an appointment yet so may wait til the following week.  I feel I've gained considerably – especially today – but have been feeling fine otherwise.

Some of the fellow in Harold's class at law school are living in the Metropolitan Housing Project here in Cleveland and we have seriously considered trying to get in.  We have visited one couple who had a very nice apartment suite – living room, bedroom, bath & kitchen – just what we'd like.  There are about 15 groups – three main ones located all over the city.  The requirements for getting in are 1) to have an income of less than $150 a month (which will be the case with us as of Oct. 1) and 2) assets not exceeding $100 excluding a car.  The only way we could fulfill these conditions is to forget about the war bonds, bank account in New Vienna and other things.  But we do have to have a formal guarantee of a monthly income in which to pay the rent (based on 23% of this monthly income).  Harold's family said they would be glad to vouch for us & give us a written statement but to avoid the risk of the Housing Application office writing to the New Vienna Bank we would appreciate your coming to the rescue.  We don't actually want the money – just a letter saying you'll provide us $120 a month until after the birth of the child when you will raise the monthly payments to $140 all this good for a year ending Oct. 1, 1949.

If you will please send the letter to us, then we'll take it with us when we go to apply – sometime after Oct. 1st.  But we would appreciate this as soon as possible – the letter – no money necessary.

By the way they also ask to see the Marriage License which we don't have at all.  The last we heard about it was the day of the wedding when Bob said he would take it back up to the Courthouse to get it recorded.  Could you also look into this?  Please.

I forgot to mention that after work last night we went to see "The Walls of Jericho" which was quite good – the first movie since Decoration Day – there just haven't been any worth seeing.

Do appreciate everything you have done & are doing for us.  Since I'm being transferred up to Main Library I'm not sure when I'll be working but I promise to get off work in order to go home the weekend of the 16th or the one before if possible. 

In the meantime we'll look forward to hearing from you – about Bob, Frank, Mrs. Polen.

All our love,
Jean and Harold

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album