Tuesday, October 30, 2018

1968 Mary Horton Letter -Oct.27

[Not sure if this letter was written on 10/27/68, is in response to a letter dated 10/27/68,
 or most likely is in reference to HH's 43rd birthday]
Re: 10/27/68

Tues AM - 9:00

Dear Harold and Jean:

First of all on the 'docket' . . . "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAROLD!"  (Why did I use the quote?  Who knows?  Ha!)  At least you're YOUNG looking and seemingly in excellent health . . . . A toast to the bicycles!  Just look at me, and you'll see the exercising pays off when you get to be in your 50's.  So don't stop and Jean, a word from the 'wise' (?) //. . . . BEGIN now don't wait like I did and find it almost impossible to lose a pound.  (I'm now a 'fat slob" of 132).  Harold, we're both QUITE young in contrast to Dad's 80-some years!  Hope you have a HAPPY day.

I've forgotten which week you were going to Washington D.C.?????  That will be interesting for all of you.  A lot to see there and all children should be aware of our country's heritage.  It was awfully dry when we were there . . . . the grass and trees were not very green.  But the capitol unit itself seemed so clean and the size of it gets you!  How many days were you gone (past, present or future)?

Jean, I sure did enjoy your last letter.  I take advantage of you all for I figure Mother passes on my letters (please over-look the possible over-emphasis of family affairs . . . . I don't rant on like this outside of the family . . . . you may get fed up with it . . . . ha), so yours do not come PERSONALIZED!

I was intrigued by your experience in Chicago.  When the kids were little, and BEFORE TV, I used to always listen to the BKF Club.  Would have enjoying seeing that with you!  You know, I had forgotten about Luna going to Spain, but they were in the planning stage when we were there last year.  No, I was not familiar with Peg Bracken, but after you mentioned her and her books, noticed she was writing in the Ladies HJ.  She's very clever . . . .  this was about cooking.  I'd like to read the one on behavior.  Do you watch the To-Day show?  They interviewed Rev. Malcolm Boyd, the Episcopalian minister, and read one of his prayers . . . . I would like to get a paperback on it . . . WILD!  But at least it sounded like the common man uttering a prayer instead of someone living back in the King James era.  Also, if you like controversy . . . did you see those pictures and article in the last LIFE on Show Biz in the churches?  You can see the church which is experimenting and WAY OUT . . . . Episcopalian.  Most of the oddities (we would say) occur in their church.  The article is on using ARTS more in religion.

Harold, appreciate all you and Jean do in Joe's behalf!  This year did not get off to such a good start as last one.  I'm just not happy about that environment down there but he is HAPPILY situated at the present in his new habitat and is convenient to wherever he goes on campus.  (Less riding on that stupid MO of his!)  He has had quite an experience . . . . I told him that just proves you never completely know anyone until you live with him or her . . . so BEWARE when picking out a girl.  I bet you wish we weren't trying to send ALL of our kids to school up NORTH.  HA!  The only way I know to get even is to send yours southward!  Mares received a card yesterday that all her necessary papers were received except for her SAT scores, which she is PESSIMISTICALLY taking again tomorrow.  I don't see WHY those tests are so indicative; too many conscientious students do not do well on tests and cannot work and think clearly under pressure.  Or so I think!  Joe could not have done much worse (they wanted him to take them over) . . . . the teachers could not understand it . . . . that he is in a specialized field, which he is naturally talented and adept.  This is NUTTY too, to be considering a school we've never seen.  HA!  But I'm with Mares and Catherine (and I realize you all have been there) it sounds like a remarkable PLAN . . . she is so afraid she'll be disappointed.  I guess then, it will be Florida State.  She WON'T consider Fla. Southern or Stetson.  (And that is based on prejudice and not logic).

I vowed I was going to WRITE only ONE page, but here I go!

Our past week-end was a FLOP for the kids.  They got out on Friday for teacher conference day and we had DELUGES of rain both Friday and Sat.  Our BIG football game was called off both nights because of the weather.  We will now play Forest Hill on Dec. 2nd.  That is late after the season!  Bill was in Leesburg to the Methodist mens week-end retreat and it was lovely up there.  We just had to stay inside and with the dampness, Cris and I both got worse with our allergies.  He is up to his neck with this float bit.  We've got a huge flat bed out here behind our garage.  They got permission from the owner to cut it down.  It wouldn't even go in their garage they had obtained while getting it ready.  It is eventually to look like a Showboat.  I think Cris is trying to out-do the Seniors . . . . that would a slight faux pax . . . in their eyes at any rate!

I can feel for you all taking Serena to Columbus for 'just a minute.'  I thought it was awful just driving to WPB.  Thank goodness, Rob is going to a NEW man here, who is located just opposite the QUIK CHEK, here in town.  I plan to send him on his bike when he gets around to just the adjustments.  He doesn't have the wires on as yet.  After Halloween he goes in for the second time.  Boy, he needs braces badly.

Bill is chairman of the Methodist Mens Pancake all-day affair this Sat. (The glee club are giving their introductory concert this Sat. nite also.)  Cris enjoys singing a lot.  At the moment he is pretty choked up!  Bill has been busy with the band this year too.  I'm taking a back seat.  I figure it is someone else's turn.  HA!

You can tell Mother that Elsie called this morning and Mr. Decker is doing very well.  The doctor told her that he could come home this week.  He is up and down.  The ? has to be dressed daily, and is still draining.  I imagine he will have to wear a 'Foley' (?) bag.  Bladder problems!  But as she says, he was GONE twice.  The doctors never expected him to make it!  She is getting a professional outfit to clean up the apartment.

Eat an extra piece of cake for me . . . . You can better get rid of the extra calories than I!

Love,
Mary, Bill, & MCR

I hope this isn't too similar to "Cousin Serena" & her barrage of doings & comings!!   See you around the 15th! Nov.  How long can you stay?  Why don't you bring someone along?

1 comment:

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

This letter was written in 1966, when Catherine & Marianne were applying for college not 1968 as written on the letter.

The following is from an email from HH to Marianne: Reading your Mother’s letter of nearly 50 years ago brought back many memories. Recall the time that Roberta started out from 213 North K (Decker’s property that my folks rented) for your house on North K, got lost and returned to the starting point where the police found her. Or the time with about 9 people, including your Mother. Jean, myself and about 6 of our young children went to Lake Okeechobee in one car with an OH license plate and people wondered how we had come with so many people so far in one car.

Yes, my memory has faded with the years. but reading old letters does jolt my memory Think of Mac’s fruit stand at the SW corner of Dixie and Lake Ave? Or the house my folks rented in the 1934 winter just west of Federal Above on South 3rd Ave in Lake Worth. Going north on Federal it was just after the bend in the highway. Rent was around $25 a month, though when it rained one could take a quick shower.

You may recall a Mrs Matthis (something like that) who lived just south of the Deckers property who worked at the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach. She brought news one day in the 30ties that a piece of pie had gone from ten cents to fifteen cents in the hotel dining room.

Such is inflation and of course it is going to take a lot of inflation to make the federal debt more viable. It is hard to be brief on such a topic. Read an article recently that the DOW will hit 40,000 way down the road.

It is a great life.

Items from Uible photo album