Monday, October 08, 2018

1948 Jean's Letter -Sept.

[September 1948?]
Tuesday
Dearest Mother and Daddy,

We certainly thought about you this weekend and would have liked to have been with you but the Labor Day traffic isn't too enticing.  Thank goodness it wasn't too hot.

We went to Linn Zook's father's church last Sunday.  Rev. Zook was preaching but his family is in Columbus this week.  Afterwards we went for a drive looking for corn and a nice place to eat.  We decided not to buy the corn until after we ate in order that the corn wouldn't have to roast in the hot car.  But after seeing a nice place we asked some girl about it, she said she knew she shouldn't run down her home town but she wouldn't eat there – suggested another place nearer to Cleveland – which was closed for the weekend.  We finally ended up at a place Virginia and Jim had been to this spring when they were over – Settler's Tavern.  They serve American and Hungarian food being in the center of the Hungarian part of the city.  Harold had Hungarian goulash which looked very good – I was afraid to order it – so struggled with chicken-in-a-basket.  Next time I'll know better.  I'd really like to go there again & try something else.  I couldn't remember what Virginia said was so good.

We didn't do much of anything yesterday.  Harold has exam tomorrow.  Last night we went for a walk up to 105th & had a soda.

Wednesday I started back to work again.  That night we had Jeanne, Ruth & Mary Krickbaum & Ellen down.  Ruth left Saturday for Maumee (near Toledo) where she has accepted a teaching position.  We had ice box cake.  I couldn't remember your recipe but just put lady fingers and chocolate in ice tray & served it with whipped cream & coffee.  Quite good although it could have been more chocolatey.

I finished up at the dentist's last Tuesday.  He put in a gold filling & cleaned my teeth $16.50 – ($4.00 + $12.50 for gold work).  He told me to come back in about 4-5 months for another check-up on my teeth.  He also said to use Milk of Magnesia for a mouth wash every night and buy either Squibbs or Phillips Milk of Magnesia tooth paste.  I've only used the mouth wash twice – it's terrible.  Jeanne was down Saturday morning on her way to the Air Races with a group from the Explorers Club.  She wanted to borrow some dance records as afterwards they all were going on a Retreat someplace for the weekend – beyond Newton[?]-on-the-Lake.  I believe.

I bought a brunch coat when I was down town Tuesday.  Its seersucker and so big I'll be able to wear it for months and months.  In fact I've hardly had it off since I bought it.  When we were in New Vienna, Mary brought over all her baby books, etc. and among them was the Better Homes and Gardens' Baby Book which seemed extremely useful so I also got a copy of that while I was down town.  It covers everything from prenatal through 6 years.

The other night, Wed. when the girls were here – Harold & I were fixing the ice box cake & I happened to have a full jar of chocolate in the refrigerator which we decided we might pour over the ice box cake to give it more of a chocolate effect.  Harold asks if I wanted it heated which I decided would be good to do & not paying any attention – went on what I was doing & Harold took the jar from refrig. & proceeded to heat it in some container over gas flame.  In a moment there was a qt. of choc. all over the stove for the bottom broke from the jar.  I'm still finding chocolate everyplace in the stove.  I guess he was just hinting that the stove needed a good cleaning – which it did.

We do wish you might get over and see our apartment if only come for the day – anytime but I'd try to be off from the library if you could arrange it.  It's not always in the best of shape but know you'd understand that.

All our love,
Jean & Harold


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album