Wednesday, October 17, 2018

1968 Catherine's Letter -Oct.16

October 16, 1968
Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  I was glad to get your letter today along with The Career booklets and the clipping.  The first one I pulled out was "Should you be a Mathematician" and I wondered what kind of joke you all were trying to play.  The other three were much appreciated!  Thanks also for the card from Dad (?) which I got yesterday.

Today was a day of varied emotions.  At 4:30 this morning I couldn't decide whether it would be more profitable to study German or physics since were little "quizes" in both today.  By 7:30 I was not only starved to death but I was very discouraged about both German and physics.  The rice krispies served there purpose and I felt enough better to get to German class.  The test, I mean quiz, was difficult but I don't know how I did 'cause there are so many possible places for error.  At least I had the German over with so I could devote full time to worrying about physics during biology class.  The physics class was alot better than I expected -- I think I got at least 5 out of ten points which will be a big improvement over last week.  After work (this was the end of another Saga week and I only put in 22 3/4 hours) I went to talk to Dr. Palmer, the physics prof. about some of the problems I couldn't figure out.  He says I don't have anything to worry about -- I'm coming along fine, etc., etc., etc.  I don't think he realizes how badly I need a C in the course to get credit toward a major.  Time will tell.

It would be great if you all could come up.  If you have any extra room Jo would appreciate it very much I know if you could bring Dale up.  Of course, he might not be able to get away, or maybe you have something else planned too.  I can't remember his last name although Jo told me just today.  I think it is Guindon.  Maybe Roberta knows.  Jo is in my bio class along with 240 or so other people.  Right now I have nothing planned for that weekend except studying --HA!

Carole, my roommate, was here last year.  She was the roommate of Linda Popp who you all met, I don't know whether you remember.  Linda is from Beaver, Pa.  Carole is from Utica, Mich.  She is the one who spent the summer in school in Traverse City.

I really like the room – being on the 4th floor we don't have too many people wandering through to bother us, and it is relatively quiet for study.  The intercoms are alot nicer than the old buzz system too.

I've got to get to dinner now so excuse the rushed letter.  I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff I didn't tell you but I still have some stamps left!

Love,
Cathy

It was later than I thought so I didn't get this mailed before supper after all.  Tomorrow is my easiest day.  I have nothing scheduled except two hours of work but I will probably go in to bio lab just to get it over with.  Our weeks in lab run from Thursday-Wednesday so tomorrow is the first day.

The last babysitting job I had was unbelievable.  I went to the house at about 6:30, Mrs. Collins (wife of Dr Paul Collins in the French dept.) showed me where the telephone and refrigerator were, and said her son, David, aged 7, could play outside until it got dark at which time he was to come in and go to bed.  He did exactly that without my having to say a word, I read him a story, and I had the rest of the evening to enjoy with my physics book.  What a racket!  I hope she calls me back again.

Sometimes I fix myself a sandwich (usually good old egg-salad) in the snack bar to bring home for supper.  It's alot less effort than standing in line with all 900 of the other starving students.  Usually about the end of the serving time there isn't any line though.

My two most favorite books are waiting and I guess I can't put off opening them all evening.

Once more:
Love, Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album