Thursday, October 11, 2018

1968 Catherine's Letter -Oct.7


October 7, 1968
Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John and Mary,

Hi!  something happened to the mail service last week – the letter which you all mailed last Monday, I didn't get until Saturday afternoon.  But then I got one today which was mailed Friday so I guess the post office is still functioning!  I appreciated the stamps, clippings, etc.  The only book I had to buy this quarter was biology which I got used for $3 so that deposit more than covered it.  Thanks.

I have the one skirt ready to send back to Sears as soon as I find some paper and string.  I was going to reorder a size smaller but 10 is the smallest size for that particular skirt.  I did order a pair of slacks, a white shell and two more pair of the all-nude hose.

Babysitting jobs were in abundance over the weekend.  Friday night I was supposed to babysit for the Murphy's who had called me last weekend and then canceled out because the kids got the flue.  This Friday Mrs. Murphy was sick so he came anyway and insisted on paying me since they had ruined (?) two of my evenings.  Instead of sulking in my room because of my ruined Friday night, I called the Bakers who had also called me about babysitting for that night.  She said, yes they still needed a baby sitter so I ended up getting paid twice for the same evening.  Saturday, Mrs. Figgins who I babysat for last year called and wanted me that night but I had already gotten another job with the Bogarts.  Dr. Bogart is in the English dept.  I have become quite adept at things like hide the slipper (or button, spool, etc.) and I see something green (or orange, brown, or purple)!  It's also easier to study at somebody's house 'cause once I get the kids to bed I can read my German out loud without bothering anyone.

Yesterday, I also discovered that it is possible to do some of the physics problems if you try long and hard enough.  Only problem is when we have a test I won't have all day to figure them out.

There is a girl here, Debby Foote, from Carbondale, Illinois who went on the New England hostel trp two years ago.  Last year I hardly knew her at all but now we have become quite good friends.  This Saturday we road out to the Nature Center which is about five miles from here.  This weekend, after our Saturday morning classes we are going to Cassopolis where there is a youth hostel.  I have already made arrangements to borrow another girls 3-speed and Debby has a 5-speed so we should make it in fine shape.  I'll let you know how it all turns out.  [Dad, Serena & I had dinner with Deb & her husband in Philadelphia a few years ago.]

Could you send me Joe's address?  How did you like Jan?

I see alot of Jo Smith, too.  She works at Saga and she works the hour right before me in the snack bar.  She asked me the other day if I would like to go home this weekend as she thinks she has a ride to Columbus.  I declined seeing as I have the German class from 8-10 on Saturday and then the proposed bicycle trip.

That was an interesting article on Sears.  How can I get them to send me a catalogue?

We had our first German test this morning.  There was a list of about 40 expressions which we had to memorize and then she asked each one of us one.  I think fate determines the grade!

The biology class, all 250 (approximate) of us, are going on a field trip to the Nature Center this week.  We go in groups of 34 though as that is all the bus or whatever will hold.

Write soon!

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album