Saturday, October 20, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -Oct.17


10/17/78
Monday Night
8:30 pm
Hi! 

Just now put the load of clothes in the washer – the load I had intended to put in before supper – seems I'm running a little behind!  Wouldn't be so bad but my outfit for work tomorrow is part of that load!

Today was some day – was by myself all afternoon – 2 people came in – had to be "interviewed - 1 said he wanted a job as a street car operator – I asked him if he would be willing to relocate – around San Fran. area.  He really is in the accounting field.  I'm beginning to learn new vocab – there are all different kinds of "secretary" jobs – from Receptionist to Full Charge – and I always thought a secretary was a secretary!

Actual job orders to be filled – we only have  3 !  One is fee paid – that's the kind everybody wants.  We have to make what are called A.C. – Action Calls – after a person comes in & fills out application.  If they have credit experience – then you look up credit in the yellow pages & start calling.  It's a numbers game – but they say 1 out of 25 A.C. brings results – either in a job interview then – or at a later time.  I think I'm going to like the job – I like the idea of making Big Money – HA!

I decided myself I didn't want the job at the law firm.  I wouldn't want to hear about peoples marital problems – or other stuff all day.

It takes me about 20 minutes to go to work – this AM went straight down Broadway – coming home went on the freeway – time was about the same.

Marian had supper all fixed when I got home – every Monday night we have Stubbs here for supper – as Mr. Stubbs is away every Monday night on business – they usually have us over twice a week for supper – so it's a good deal.

I'm really working away on needlepoint – plus have 1 crewel started.  Also a latch hook rug (small 15x15) started.  Now that I'm working my projects may suffer some!

We still have the Air Condition on – heat is just too much – but at night cools down lots.

There is no reason for you all not to stay here over Christmas.  Marian will be gone 20 December to 2 January – but you know you would be welcome by her.  I have a brilliant idea – you all could use the truck going to Oregon – it gets excellent gas milage & you could sleep in the back & save a few dollars.  I'm really sold on these KOA Campgrounds – they have such clean bathrooms – I have their U.S.A. guide book.

Haven't ventured into the yogurt yet – found the 32 oz. size plain for 73¢ – thought that to be good bargain!  It tastes fine.

Remember my ordering 2 pair of shoes from that catalog – well – about two weeks ago got back check for 1 pair & then today got back check for 2nd pair – both pairs were "temporarily" out of stock!!  Must have picked popular ones!

Clothes finished gotta go.

Love,
Berta

P.S. Guess Phyllis would be a "full charge!"

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album