Friday, October 12, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -Oct.7


Sunday Morning
[10/7/78]
Good Morning!

Thanks for calling last night – glad we finally made connections – tho it was little late Ohio time.

I've been fine – thank goodness – I haven't gotten what Marian had.  She went in to the Dr. on Monday – and I forget what all he told her but it was more than the common cold.

There seems to be lots of jobs out here – that pay minimum wage – or maybe a little more.  But "good" jobs seem hard to come by.  I'm enclosing the print out as the Mesa job – which is for lots of reasons – my 1st pick.  They said it would be 2 weeks from 10/6 – before they would be calling people in for an interview.  I would be working right downtown Mesa.  Time will tell.

Remember the old house caty corner from Sears?  It was burnt down this past week – by the fire dept.  Has been in the news + papers.  House was built about 1902.  The old man was put in a Nursing Home 2 months ago – and has just died.  Will be curious to see what goes up – Mesa is really growing – esp. our side!!

There is work started on the mall that will be behind Sears – when it is finished is supposed to be the biggest mall in all of Arizona.  Quite a big shopping area – not enclosed – is going up near us – Southern/Country Club – cross from Woolco.  That is where the Restaurant will be that I applied.  It will be called Greens & Wiches – the guy was interesting to talk to – that owns it.  Very limited menu – maybe 6 different types of salad and 6 kinds of sandwiches.  Also home made soup.  Hours will be 11:00-8:00PM.  closed on Sunday, close early on Saturday.

The Leisure World job was one I got the lead from the DES office.  They are just getting organized here in Mesa.  Leisure World is quite far East of us – about 10 miles.

The job I do have – starting tomorrow – is one w/ Ambassador – they are strictly mail order – I would be in inspection.  I sorta hate to even start it – because working 7:00-3:30 will definitely hurt my looking for work.  I'm also afraid my job there might be finished when the Christmas Rush is over.

We plan to attend the new Methodist Church this AM – they have 1 Service only – 9:30 AM – it's located just about 2 miles from us – which makes more sense than driving clear cross town.

Jackie Phelan called me yesterday – I wasn't home – was suppose to call her back – but then I broke a jar of wheat germ – and used the envelope w/ her name on it to clean up the mess – then threw it out.  It was a San Diego # – hope she calls me back.

I.T.'s mother – 95 years old – fell & broke her hip about 3 weeks ago – but is doing great – they took her home last Sunday.

Rene went to Puerto Rico last week – will be gone another week – went mostly to see his family – So last night I went out to dinner w/ Murial (Rene's wife) – and Dorothy & her 2 children – her husband goes fishing almost every weekend.  We tried out this Restaurant that is just down Southern – near Dobson – Mexican Rest – it was quite good – interesting – baskets hanging on all the walls.  Tho nothing if you compare it to Casa Bonita in Denver.  I.T. took me there 2 years ago – We had quite a wait – & I thought the atmosphere to be much better than the food.

Mother – please send your yogurt recipe – I'm going to try to make it.  Part of my save $ plan.

It's still very warm here.  Gets up near 100º by mid-day – tho beginning to cool down some at night.

Marian is really reading everything in the market – takes WSJ here at home – we were at library 2 nights this past week.  She had no voice Monday night – till Wednesday pm or so – now not strong if she uses it alot.  During the 3 weeks I was gone she took a course on investing – offered by a broker just getting started here in Mesa.  So now she is way beyond me – all I know is to buy low – sell high – J.B. taught me that!

Thanks for your letter – found it & the articles very interesting!

Love, 
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album