Wednesday, May 24, 2017

1967 Roberta's Letter -May 26


Sorry this is so messy!
[5/26/67]
Friday p.m.

Dear Family,

I have some free time now so I decided I better put it to good use and at least start a letter to you all.

We gave the cake to J.N. yesterday afternoon.  He wasn't home so we left the note cake and a note saying how grateful we were to him for taking us home.  Then we gave them both to the lady who owns the place where he lives.  She was really nice.  Helen and I talked to her for about 30 minutes then walked downtown, got a cake, then went and took a taxie [sic] back to school.

Did you like the pictures? the thing about Wilmington College?  Had you seen the article before this?  I sure hoped you liked them cause it cost enough to send them!  Was my office bill very much?  If it was maybe we can work something out where I could pay for half of it or so this summer.  You can really have a high office bill.  Everything from candy bars at the feed bag shop to stamps can be put on it.

Commencement starts at 10:00 June 3rd.  Right after that will be lunch and then we will be free to go.  If you don't make it for grad. exercises it's o.k., but the speaker will really be good – we are reading one of her books now in Bible class.  Got to go for now, will write more either tomorrow or Sunday.

Hi (again) It's now Saturday morning and since I have morning and evening dish crew I have free time while those who have office work do a real good job on it.  This is the best thing about having dish crew.

I just got out of Geography class, we are giving all these reports in there about Communist China.  My group is on Economy.  Others have about social life, food, education, and everything else.  It's not really bad, but, I sure don't enjoy getting up there and doing my report.

Last night, before I started this letter to you all I cleaned out my part of the closet and found a total of 7 shopping bags.  If I use them and the brown suitcase I think I'll have plenty of room to put my stuff.  I didn't realize how much stuff I have up here, but, I sure got plenty!

Sunday night a man from Wilmington College will be here to talk about the Peace Corps program.  I can't remember his last name but it's something like Carliver – does that sound right?  Teacher Tom talkes very highly of him.  He has been in the Peace Corps a long time too.  I'll tell you more about him later.

Well, got to go.  I suppose I'll just mail this now to cut down the risk of losing it.

Love, Roberta

Tell Grandma and Granddad I said "Hi!"  Hope all is fine!

Hi!  It's now 6:30 Sunday morning and Helen and I just finished our Algebra for tomorrow.  We thought it would take an hour to do but it only took twenty minutes for we both understood it for a change.

Last night we had "Junior Social."  It was really nice.  The theme was "Robin Hood."  We had PIG for supper!  It started at three and ended about 9:30.  I went swimming in my jeans and sweatshirt.  I'll tell you more about it when I get home.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album