Frank Rutledge Uible
January 10, 1895 - January 20, 1974
January 10, 1895 - January 20, 1974
In addition to his obituary, scanned and transcribed below, can be added the following information, some of which was found on wikipedia:
- He graduated from New Vienna High School in 1912, the first of three Uible graduates of NVHS, followed by cousins, Mary in 1931 and Harold in 1943. His name is listed in the 1912 class list as Rutledge Uible.
- His parents predeceased him: William David "Will" or "W.D." Uible 1869-1942 ; and Ida M. Stouder 1871-1920.
- He was survived by a younger brother, Russell Lionel Uible, 1896-1983 who lived in St. Louis.
- Stepmother, Verda May Burton Barger Uible, 1879-1966, Will's third wife, lived in Leesburg, where she and Will moved in the 1920s.
- Frank's childhood was spent in New Vienna, until a fire destroyed his father's livery business; they later moved to a farm near Cuba, Ohio, in Washington Township. Frank may have boarded with another family in order to finish school in New Vienna.
- He served in the US Army during World War 1 as a First Lieutenant in the Third Officers Training Camp; received an honorable discharge December 18, 1918.
- His college years were interrupted by WW1, but he graduated from Ohio Wesleyan in 1919; graduated from Case Western Reserve University School of Law in 1927, and began practice in Cleveland. He opened his own office in 1930.
- In 1932 he was elected to the Ohio House of Representative, serving on the Judiciary Committee. He was reelected in 1934, and was Democratic floor leader of the House, and reelected again in 1936, serving as Speaker of the House for two years. In 1938 he was a candidate in the primary election for Lieutenant Governor of Ohio.
- Frank married Laura Michalske of Cleveland, on July 30, 1932.
- He was a grandson of Sarah Elizabeth Smith, 1841-1890; and David Uible 1845-1926. His father, Will, 1869-1942, was the oldest of their seven (or eight) children which also included Frank C. Uible, 1871-1953; Mary Louisa Uible, 1873-1893; Ennis Harris Uible, 1877-1910; George (Clyde?) Uible, 1880-1906; Cecil J Uible, 1883-1969; and Serena Uible Reynolds 1884-1963.
- Frank R. was the oldest of 14 grandchildren of David & Sarah Smith Uible:
Grandchildren of David & Sarah Smith Uible include:
- Frank Rutledge Uible, 1895-1974 (son of Will)
- Russell Lionel Uible, 1896-1983 (son of Will)
- Mary Serena Uible Sterrett, 1901-1990 (daughter of Frank C.)
- Frank C. Uible Jr., 1904-2001 (son of Frank C.)
- Earlene Ennis Uible Lumley, Jan.1909-2007 (daughter of Ennis)
- Howard Perin Uible, Apr.1909-2010 (son of Frank C.)
- Helen Reynolds Hancock, 1910-1963 (daughter of Serena)
- Marjorie M Reynolds Guild, Jun.1912-1994 (daughter of Serena)
- Richard Clyde Uible, Dec.1912-2007 (son of Frank C.)
- Mary Uible Horton, 1913-2012 (daughter of Cecil)
- Serena Reynolds Pugh, 1914-1968 (daughter of Serena)
- Lucile A Reynolds Hunnicut Ito, 1916-2009 (daughter of Serena)
- Leslie C Reynolds Jr., 1922-1998 (son of Serena)
- Harold Hiestand Uible, 1925- Living (son of Cecil)
Frank R. Uible dies, arbitration lawyer
After serving in the Ohio Legislature from 1933 to 1940, Frank R. Uible went on to become one of the better known and respected lawyers in Greater Cleveland.
Mr. Uible, 79, died Sunday at his Shaker Heights home.
He had been a Democratic representative in the Ohio House and was speaker of the House in 1937 and 1938. He was a graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University and the Western Reserve University Law School.
Mr. Uible was a member of the Cleveland, Ohio and American Bar Associations, the American Arbitration Assn. and the executive committee of the cuyahoga County Democratic Party.
His wife, Laura, also a lawyer, died in 1971.
He is survived by sons Frank R. Jr., of St. Louis, and David R. and daughter Mrs. Anne Birnbaum, of New York.
Services will be tomorrow at 11 a.m. at the Memorial Chapel at Lake View Cemetery, 12316 Euclid Ave.