Tuesday, November 02, 2021

1981 Catherine's Letter -Nov.15

 

Monday, November 15, 1981

Dear Mother Dad, and Mary and Mie Young,

Hello.  Sorry I didn't get a letter off to you last week.  I have to keep my schedule very regimentalized or I don't get anything done.  When I didn't write on Monday morning there didn't seem any other time to do it.  So I'll keep trying to get it off on Mondays!

I went to the library meeting last Monday evening in Bend.  There were about 25 people -- combination school or should I say media librarians and public and three from COCC.  After dinner at the Inn of the 7th Mountain we went to the Deschutes Public library for a meeting and tour.  It was very interesting.  We talked about censorship as the Redmond school libraries are being challenged right now because of Judy Blume books -- someone wants all Judy Blume books removed from the shelves.  It made me rather paranoid as this library doesn't have any book selection policy whatsoever.  Although the board has said they will back me up (we did have a minor flap over the Rajneesh books) I think we would have a better case if we had a written book selection policy.  So I have been working on that.  This morning I am going over to the School District library office as they have a book that has the policies form many libraries and that should be helpful.  The next board meeting is Dec. 1st so if I have something by then maybe I can get the board to approve it.

Gerry had lots of meeting as last week with Investigating Committee on Tuesday, Trustees meeting Wednesday and regular lodge on Thursday.  Friday we went to Bingo and made out pretty good.  Gerry won $10 and a free dinner ticket (worth $7.50) and I won $9 and a free drink ticket.  We took Wendy out to dinner between work and Bingo so she could have her favorite -- clam chowder.  We went to the Meet Market.  Saturday we worked at the Elks and then had dinner there (steak) with Wendy to use Gerry's dinner ticket.  Then the babysitter stayed with Wendy while we stayed later at the dance.  Yesterday we did a little work around the house and then spent a few hours at the Elks working.  I am working on the Club books for October right now having finally finished the Lodge's second quarter.  Gerry is getting everything together for this month's issue (or rather December issue) of the Bulletin.

I have an AAUW meeting tonight but not sure yet if I am going to go.  The program is on technology and the speaker is coming from COCC so should be interesting.   Wendy has a birthday party at 2:00 this afternoon.  I am going to pick her up from Day Care at 12:00 which is after their lunch but before nap.  She has a ride to the party and then she will be dropped off at the library afterwards and I can take her back to Day Care.  She won't be going to school until later this morning as I am going to deliver a new batch of books to the Nursing Home this morning and she likes to go with me to the Nursing Home.  They always make a big thing out of the children.  She wanted to wear a dress this morning as the last time we went there several people thought she was a boy.  We compromised on a blouse so as to save her dress for the party.

Wednesday night this week is the Elks birthday dinner.  It is a week early this month becauses of Thanksgiving.  We were invited to a party on Friday night but don't know if we will go.  Both Gerry and I have to work on Saturday.  i had told Betty she could have this Saturday off and Debbie was going to work for her but then Debbie found out she couldn't work so I will be doing it.  No big deal since Gerry will be working and I will probably just bring Wendy with me.

Better close and finish getting the books ready to go to the Nursing Home.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album