Thursday, November 04, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter -Nov.16


 Tuesday night, November 16, 1971

Harold Uible Family
Box 50
New Vienna, Ohio 45159

Hi, I'm having sort of a hard time with this typewriter.  It's probably because I just finished keypunching for the evening and that is a little different from a typewriter.

For the last three days I have put off writing to you all because I figured the next day I would get a letter from you.  So I'll probably get one tomorrow.  We're still planning on coming next week.  I don't think Mrs. Hall is real hep on it but she isn't real hep about anything.  So unless she comes up with a really good reason to stay home we'll bring her along.  We're definitely bringing Kuman.  You won't believe how big she's gotten.  She was in a little pain this afternoon because she ripped off one of her toenails.  I'm not sure how it happened but it really bled.

Serena, are you all recuperated?  Watch out for those occupational hazards.

Dad, I'm going to sign my name to the back of a bunch of stock certificates.  Will the bank be open Friday?  Can someone there or you serve as a witness or whatever it is I need?  Also, Dick and I would like some detailed professional advice on life insurance and health insurance.  Some guy who sold Dick's dad insurance came over and gave Dick a 10 minute high pressure talk.  I forget what company he was from.  Then a guy from Equitable who some friends of ours bought insurance from, came over and talked and did arithmetic for an hour and a half.  His approach certainly was far more appealing.  We haven't decided anything.

Thanksgiving has really sneaked up on me.  I thought it was two weeks away until I looked at the calendar last Sunday and discovered there wasn't any week between this week and Thanksgiving week.  Mrs. Hall's birthday is the day before Thanksgiving so we're going to take her out to dinner on Tuesday.  Now that I think about it maybe we will do it on the weekend as one of us will have to work at K Tuesday night.

We're taking both Wednesday and Friday nights off.  The plans are for the car to get its 3000 mile check up on Tuesday, then Wednesday we have a class from 8-9:30 and will leave shortly thereafter arriving in New Vienna at approximately dinner time.

I have been wearing my glasses occasionally lately as I decided that wearing my contacts 16-18 hours a day wasn't the best thing for my eyes.  The problem is that they are a different prescription and I can hardly see any better with them than without them.  So I'm going to make an appointment with an eye doctor I think to have the  prescription changed.  I really like my contacts but I have been thinking lately that there are several advantages to glasses.  There isn't quite the expense and care involved in glasses.  They don't require cleaning solution, wetting solution, soaking solution, etc.

There's a millage election here in K next Monday.  As I understand it if it doesn't pass (which it didn't the last time) they close the public library, cut out athletics, and have no money to pay 100 teachers.  The state board has already said though that they can't fire the teachers and they can't close the schools early.  Better hope it passes.  I guess there ae a couple of towns in Michigan where the library is under the jurisdiction of the school system.  That seems pretty stupid to me.  I suppose it does save some duplication of efforts as the public library does all the cataloging for the school libraries.  However, if the public library closes . . . .  I must say that I have a thing against the public library for making me pay $26 for a card but I sure would hate to see it closed.  The all American city without a public library?

The big new mall across from the mall where we went the last time you were here has been finished for a couple of months now.  It has a Jewel/Turn-Style where we've been several times.  I priced the groceries and they are al  about 1-3¢ higher than where I do our grocery shopping, Shifty Acres (Meijer's Thrifty Acres).  However the Jewel compares very favorably with all the other super markets.  There are always lots of of people.  Mrs. Pinkham (head librarian at K) raves about the meat.  Which is saying something as she used to buy her meat at a regular butcher shop to get the quality they wanted.  Personally I think hamburger is hamburger.  They are also building a new Jewel near the Sears and Holiday Inn where you stayed before.

Well, it's time for me to get my things gathered together as it is almost 11:00 and Dick will be finishing up at the library and zipping down to get me.

See you all next week!

Love,
Catherine & Dick

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album