Saturday, November 02, 2019

1979 Roberta's Letterss -Sep.13



[The first letter, with the chipmunk, was sent to GHU aka Grandma]

Thursday
1:30 pm
[9/13/79]
Hi Grandma!

Thanks alot for your letter – my!  the Hortons sure had a trip to remember on their trip back to Florida!!

School is going pretty good – as of yesterday I now officially have a paper or project to do for every class!  Most of them are not due in till about mid November or 1st part of December.

Yesterday we took our 3rd batch of aluminum cans (soda cans) out to the recycle center – we had 51 pounds – $11.73 worth.  That's not bad for the amount of time it takes in only 4 days!

I'm enclosing pictures Catherine sent me – please give them to the family.  They came out pretty good – Also sending a xerox copy of them – you can keep or send on to the Hortons. 

107ยบ today!  Sure Hot!
Love,
Roberta

*      *      *      *     *
[Next letter sent to family, later the same day]


Thursday P.M.
[9/13/79]
Dear Family,

Want to thank you all for the letter yesterday and for the needlepoint package which came in today -- perfect shape, was sure a good way to mail it, with collapsed box.  It's 7:30 and I just got in from my half hour of collecting cans.  Did you all by chance see the article in the Christian Science Monitor about recycling of cans, etc.  It was a good article.  Was going to send it to you all but then Marion wanted it for her class at school to put it on the bulletin board, so in a weak moment gave it to her.

From looking in the dumpsters you could really collect up paper -- but it pays only 1 cent per pound, so for that seems like you would wear your self out with the weight, and not that much money in it.

Today it tried to rain, was actually raining this morning.  So I got a ride to school with Mickey (who lives in the same building as us) -- parks her car right next to the truck.  Then Marion picked me up on her way home from school.  It's only about a mile out of her way to come home that way.  Didn't have any classes, but trying to get caught up on the reading for the one class -- as now about half done -- that is with the group that is due by next Wednesday.  All the books are on reserve, only two hours check out time.

I don't think I have mentioned it before, but Fred Williams fell on Sunday.  He hurt his wrist, and arm -- both were swollen and very black and blue.  Also alot of pain in both the arm area and his ribs.  He had a Doctor's appt. for tomorrow -- he doesn't want them (the Veterans) to know about his fall.  He is afraid that he will have to be put in some "awful home" -- tho he says that the place where Agnes is -- is just fine for her.  And how the VA place would be better -- but he sure doesn't want to be stuck there.  I was out to see him on Tuesday, and he was somewhat better as to how the arm looked, and how he felt.  Today called him and he says that the Veterans will surely know about his fall, since his arm is still black and  blue.  He really is getting to the place where he should not be living at home by himself.

I sent Grandma just today the pictures that Catherine sent me -- I don't know if she wants them back or what the story is behind them.  I thought that they were all pretty good -- tho I'm anxious to see the real pictures of the wedding.  Had a call from John yesterday from St. Thomas.  I tried to call them up early last Thursday -- set my alarm for 3:30 A.M. -- but they must have already left -- as got no answer.

Did get over to the Birkenstock sandal place -- but can you believe it -- they didn't have any to fit me -- except for one pair -- which were made up on one single stray [strap?] near the toes -- $43 for them -- so I'm still wearing the thong type and also my last year famolare's.  They did tell me that they could order me a pair -- would take 8 to 10 weeks.  this weekend I'm going to check the places that I saw my size of famolares last year.

Now Friday AM - at school - 8:15 - takes me just 20 minutes to get to school -- I got those chiggers so bad I used up both the After Bite & other medicine JB got me in Kent.  Went to drugstore & got more medicine & now just small scars & some black & blue places left.  After-Bite is good -- for bites -- if you put it on right away.  Druggist really said it was good for that.  I was thinking I had written before now about the awful case of chiggers I had.

OK - gotta go - will get this in this AM's mail --

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album