Saturday, April 13, 2013

1973 Hinerman Letter - April 12

Referring to HH & Jean's 25th Wedding Anniversary celebration, as well as references to the 1948 wedding make this letter interesting.  Since the last Hinerman letter, I have learned that Sarah Shoup Hinerman was born in 1902, and in 1926 she married Chauncey, 1900-1981.  Sarah died in 1979.  She was known to the Ballantynes as she lived in their New Cumberland garage apartment while teaching school in New Cumberland, though she had to pretend to be unmarried to hold that job.  Their daughter, Sarah Jane, was born prior to 1940, and married Ben Kingree in 1957.  Transcription follows.


4/12/73
 
Dearest Folks,

So glad to hear from you.  Sounds like The Uibles are on the move, as usual.

I didn't get the information from you to prompt silver bowl, but from Harold's mother - in Florida.  She said the girls wanted to have a little affair for your 25th but Harold vetoed the idea saying you all wouldn't be there and the surprise would be on them.  I wasn't sure of the date altho' she did mention it.  Glad you liked the bowl and the thought behind it.

We are having a real winter day today.  In about an hour four inches of snow fell (7-8 a.m.).  Which was quite a surprise.   Wish I were in the "land of cotton" we did come home a little early [from Florida] I do believe.

Your trip sounded like a retrace of your honeymoon – no rice falling out of pockets this time though.

I had a thorough eye examination Monday and was relieved to find out I had no glaucoma.  No cataracts in sight, just needed a change of glasses (lenses).  My eyes had suddenly "gone to pot."   So now I can do more reading & sewing (needlepoint)!

I read a couple of good books recently – "The Camerons" and "The Innocents."  The later not new but good quick reading.

Your trip plans for the future sound fine – Mrs. Uible said John was getting so tall.  Has she come home yet?

We are trying to get a little decorating done here at the house but everything is so slow here.  I need new dining room draperies and have had a time getting Stone's decorator in action – Also want to get bathroom carpeted.

Sarah Jane says she hopes to come up for a few days in June and if so we want you all to join us for a day at least.  They were at Calloway Gardens, GA last weekend, Hilton Head for Easter.

Hope we can get to New Vienna this summer.

Let us hear from you – Love to all, Sarah H.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Tony Kearsley said...

I am intrigued by this post. I am Anthony Kearsley, my Grandmother was Ella Minerva Aley Timmons born 1864 and died in Creswell England around mid 1950's.
I wonder if I am related to the Sarah Shoup Hinnerman mentioned in the message.

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

Tony, thanks for your comment about the 1973 Sarah Hinerman letter. The Hinermans are not related to my family so I have no idea who their ancestors might be. Good luck with your research.

Tony Kearsley said...

Thank you so much for your response.
blessings to you and your family.

Items from Uible photo album