Wednesday, March 25, 2020

1980 Roberta's Letter -Feb.22

Had guessed that this letter was written 2/29/80 but then there was a reference to a 3-page typed letter received by Mom & Dad on 2/26/80.  So, changing the approximate date of this letter to 2/22/80.
Monday Morning
7:30 A.M.
[2/22/80]
Dear Family,

My goodness!!!   Where should I start??? Between the moving and the rains we've really had the action here.

We actually closed the deal on this house last Monday.  I had the day off -- for Lincoln's birthday.  Marion took the day off -- to get duplicate license -- and also for the signing of all the papers.  We had to drive down to Phoenix to pick up the papers at their office downtown.   Figured that was cheaper than having to miss another day of work -- and the idea of paying the $25 dollars a day rent.  (details on that later).

I thought we would do the final stuff at the mortgage company -- but turned out to be a Title company.  It sure was a plush office.  Sure had the signing to go through.  In fact the first pen they gave me wore out in the process . . . all that signing.  Kind of reminded me of before I went to India . . . except that time I was signing for travellers checks . . . .

The woman at the title company seemed very good at explaining stuff.  I -- we had to figure out whether or not we wanted "joint tenants" or "tenants in common".  We chose the one where you wouldn't have to go through probate.  I understand probate attorneys really make the money . . . maybe that's only in Arizona.  (ha, ha) Dad, I would like you to write me a list of things that you feel should go in this agreement between Marion and I. (me)  Then I can write you back and let you know what I want said about it.  Also the woman said that the fire insurance was necessary to have since the common walls -- if your house was burning -- so would your neighbor's.

Last Monday night the Stubbs and Mandezes (both have pick-ups) helped us move all of our boxes.  Also drawers and clothes hanging up.  Over the weekend -- last weekend -- we decided since we were in such a hurry to get out it would be worth it to hire someone.  I called up some of the big name places -- the ones with the big ads in the phone book.  One came out and gave me an estimate of $600 for furniture only -- no boxes.  I almost fell over.  Then I called up some that advertise in the Pennysaver -- the little free ad type book we get delivered to the door once a week.  Two came over and gave me an estimate -- one was for $26 dollars an hour and the second for $125.  I picked the first since he thought it could be done in two hours -- which is their minimum charge.  They did a great job.  That was on Tuesday.  They had an 18 -- or maybe it was 20 foot truck and did everything in one trip.  They were also suppose to charge 20 cents a mile -- but they didn't add it on.  That $52 was sure money well spent.  Marion should not be lifting anything -- and was I tired from all the action the night before.

Oh, about the rent we were supposed to pay.  I had Marion tell her real estate agent that she had checked with her attorney and he said that she should not have to pay the rent until we had a chance to get their money to the bank . . . to put toward this place. Also I left them a note saying the same. Also that there was usually such an agreement -- like a "gentlemen's agreement" -- not to charge for first so many days.  Those creeps gave the real estate man the check on Friday night -- then we weren't home that night -- so they didn't get the check to Marion till Saturday night.  Marion couldn't get it to the bank till Monday -- and they wanted to charge us rent starting on Friday.

Thank you very much for the Valentine's card and the enclosed check.  We haven't done it yet -- but plan to eat out at the new Black Angus soon.  The last two weeks we have eaten out someplace fast -- or have eaten at home something fast.  All three of the restaurants near the new mall are now open.  We did eat at the one called "Around the Corner" -- right on Alma School north of Southern.  It was really nice.  And kind of neat the way you order.  Each table has a small phone (do I have a story on the phone company) and you do your ordering on that.  Then they buzz when the order is done and you go and pick it up.  Fix your own waters -- get silverware -- etc.,  Basic menu is about 20 varieties of hamburgers -- from $1.60 to $2.95.  Mother -- somehow the zip code was really messed up on the card -- 82502 -- and we didn't get it till Friday.

Now to build up to the story on the phone company.  Thursday was the dedication day for the new senior center, East Mesa center was closed that day -- all of our group came into town to take part in the dedication . . . which they all enjoyed.  It was a horrible rainy day -- and since it was right uptown I had Marion drop me off there -- and then I would call her when I was ready to come home.

I was in charge of the actual serving and all for the meal.  We had over 500 reservations.  There were so many people!!!!  Had two sittings and everyone got served in less than 45 minutes.  Had 8 senior citizens and 13 teenagers from a program called "time out" -- instead of being sent to jail they were doing this type of thing for public service.  Guess they do lots of painting and stuff.  And they were such good workers.  Really worked fast between getting out the milks, desserts, salads.  The people had to go through a line to get their plate of food -- fried chicken, baked potato, and broccoli.  Also rolls and butters had to be put on each table.  Then as soon as people got up tables had to be cleaned and reset -- placemat, silverware, milk, rolls, etc....

Thank goodness the meal was catered . . . and the man that catered it sent over three of his men that helped us out during the whole meal.  They would not serve . . . but did keep the trays of chicken and baked potatoes fresh.  They were so heavy I could hardly lift them.  My restaurant experience really came in handy!!!  Alot of the other staff were giving tours of the buildings.  They were really hoarse . . . from having to do so much yelling -- to all the hard of hearing people.

I'm really glad to be out in East Mesa.  It's just that I wasn't hired to run that center and that is what I'm having to do.  But, I asked them for experience -- and I'm sure getting that!!!

OH!!!!  Back to the dedication day . . . .  About three o'clock I was told I could go home . . . so I called up Marion.  She wasn't -- or rather no-one answered the phone yet.  That didn't bother me because she might not have been home yet.  So I kept trying.  And kept trying . . . finally at 4:30 someone answered the phone.  I saidMarion -- no it was a Sue.  so I said is this 839-7039?  Yes, it was.  I said, oh, that was my phone number, and she said it was hers.  She had just gotten her phone the day before (same day we had).  So I called up the phone company and was told that 839-7039 was not my phone number -- and they would not give me my own number.  I asked to speak to a supervisor . . . and was I ever hot!!!  She also would not give me my own phone number -- because it was not under Uible -- turned out to be under Vible.  The phone will be listed under my name.  To make a long story short she would not give me my own number either but did call up Marion for me.  Friday I got back on the phone at work with the telephone company.  Got one of the head supervisors.  I kept saying that I should have an adjustment made on my bill since I was given the wrong number -- and people that I had given the number to could not reach me.  But, they don't see it that way . . . tho they would call anyone I wanted them to and give them the correct number.  They were suppose to call you all up -- believe tomorrow -- no on Wednesday to give correct number.  Did they???  The phone number is 839-5794.  It was a circle of mistakes -- as someone else was given our phone number.  To make a long story short I knew the girl that was really given the 839-7039 number.  She has taught at Mesa Central.  I called her back and gave her this number in case anyone should call here -- that I gave the first number to.  What a mix-up!!!

We are going to try to get by with just the one phone -- it was put in Marion's bedroom.  Did get the call forwarding option -- it's an extra $1.65 a month.  But allows you to program your phone into ringing into someone's phone.  I like the idea of it.  You can add some $25 dollars worth of options (per month that much)  Like the deal where you just push a number and it rings into someone's home, whatever.  Or where you can tell if someone is trying to call you while you are talking to someone else.  Even where you can put someone on hold to answer another call.  All these systems can be done on a regular phone -- as long as its push-button.

Did you all eve meet Jay Asher?  He's a retired friend of the Stubbs -- his wife's name is Florence?  He has been busy in the garage building us shelves.  We are going to have them along the whole side on the North side of the garage.  Sure would have been nice to have had them finished before we move in . . . but they are almost done now, about half of them will have doors -- the first 8 feet closest to the kitchen.  The next 8 feet are just shelves -- four up -- as is the first 8 feet.  Also having an 8 foot shelf put up over above the washer and dryer.  I'd also like another shelf put in my closet.  We have more room in the house itself -- but miss the storage areas -- the pantry inside the house and the storage area outside the townhouse.  The shelves will make up the difference tho when they get all done.

Suppose you all have heard all the news of the flooding here.  It sure will make it next to impossible for all those who have to cross the river to get to work . . . like Marion.  The whole East side of the valley only has one bridge to use -- the old bridge in Tempe -- Mill Avenue.  For the whole valley there are only three bridges open -- the other being Central which is right downtown and then one on the West side of Phoenix.  Lots of roads in Mesa have been washed away -- alot of people had to evacuate -- leave their homes.  If the dam had broken -- which they thought it might -- we would have had to have done it.  The police came by and warned us -- that would have been the last straw.  We are suppose to get more rains this week -- but hopefully the danger of it all is over.

We have had quite a mess here -- the back yard and front yard are just one big mud pile.  And the cement poured outside the house -- in the back -- was poured with the slant toward the house.  Thus one big pool of water right next to the house.  I've kept it swept into the yard.  The builder says he will fix it.  Guess it's all going to have to be torn out and redone.  Otherwise Marion says a thin layer will just crack.

Yesterday I went to do the first load of clothes here -- to find out that the hook-up had not been done right.  The plumber was just here to fix it.  Also had him fix the water deals in the bathrooms.  Both were off -- when you push toward cold water you got hot, and vice versa.  Seemed to be but a minor adjustment.

The move has really been hard on Buffy.  He couldn't figure it all out over there with all the boxes -- over here he keeps his nose to the ground trying to get all the new smells.  Once the back yard gets laid -- oh, we have the grass ready to go down sitting outside -- the garage, Now -- I keep telling Marion -- it's turning one of her favorite colors -- yellow.  We did get a manual sprinkling system put in -- underground.  The grass will have to be carried through the house -- have to get a plastic runner of some kind -- so as to not ruin the carpet.  I'm going to enclose a sample of the carpet -- it's really beautiful.

OH -- as to the 2,500 -- First off I put 1,000 of it into a savings at Valley National Bank.  Before I did that I had been looking at furniture -- Marion had been kind of wanting to sell the corner group in my room.  I had never really liked it.  Bed too short -- and very narrow.  So we advertised it and sold it for just under what she paid for it some two years ago.  So  now I've got a queen size hide-a-bed -- so pretty.  Orange and brown print.  Has interspring [sic] mattress -- really comfortable.  Also bought a two-piece outfit similar to what Marion had behind the dining room table in the townhouse.  A set of drawers with a bookcase over and then a deal that open up longways with a bookcase on top of it.  Also have a desk on order that won't be here till the end of March.  All the pieces were on sale.  Everything was delivered on Saturday.  I'm sure happy over the idea of having the desk plus the added storage space.

Wish you all could come out now and see the place -- sure looks different than it did at Christmas time.  When the camera gets unpacked will try to get some pictures taken.  You all are planning on coming out this way this summer -- right???

Oh, the Sankers didn't call on Saturday.  I spent most of the day here -- hoping that they would.  I fear perhaps that they had trouble somewhere on their trip with the floods.  It might have been tho that they tried to call on Saturday and couldn't get through.  The telephone lines were really tired [sic] up.  I did call Lowell's friend up on Saturday morning and gave him my telephone number.

So how was New York City??? And Mary Virginia what did you think of Westtown??  Gee -- you have a birthday coming up -- now will you be 15 or 16-years-old???  How soon do you get your license???  Before next Christmas???

I keep meaning to tell you all everytime I talk to you on the phone about how glad I was to get the article about TOYS and Dad.  It was sure a good article.  I'll enclose some articles in this letter about the new center and also the flooding.  Oh, the roads for me going out to work will not be too bad . . . few little detours.  But, on Friday we had three cars stuck . . . as the center's parking lot is just mud . . . as also the lane that the center is on off University.  I had no trouble with the bike . . . but sure did take it very easy.  Getting alot of good use of the rain suit.  I forget what the wet suit looked like for the canoe trip.  This suit is a pair of plastic pants . . . that tie at the waist.  And a plastic jacket and hood that snap.  I did buy a helmet which is great as far as keeping me warm (ears) and also dry.

Three pages . . . how are your eyes . . . hope to write more frequently . . . .

Thanks -----
Love, Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album