Saturday, March 21, 2020

1980 Catherine's Letter -Feb.20


February 20, 1980
Dear Mother, Dad, and Mary,

Hi!  How was the New York trip?  I read an article in the paper yesterday about the toy show -- I didn't see any mention of Wells Mfg. though.

The big news here is that the microwave arrived.  It is a super deluxe model with a memory that can store up to ten programs, it has a timer that can be set to start cooking at a certain time, a temperature probe so you could cook something to a given temperature.  It also has different cooking levels like defrost, roast, hold (which is used with the temperature probe) and full power which is regular I guess.  It has a big carousel on the bottom that rotates whenever the power is on.  It arrived Monday afternoon and we have used it for about every meal since then.  It came with a cookbook that has lots of good sounding recipes in it so we'll have to try some.

Oma & Millard (the older couple who live across the street that we met at church) came over for supper last night.  We had quiche which they had never tried before.  There is a recipe for it in the microwave cookbook but I cooked it in the more traditional manner since I hated to experiment on company.  We also had split pea soup which I cooked in the slow cooker and then heated up in the microwave, fruit salad and frozen yogurt which they had also never tried before.

I did really good on my bowling last week.  My average was 92 and I got a 108, 136, and 140 so I was pleased.  I'm in hopes that means that I have finally gotten used to Marion's ball.  We'll see how I do today.

The blood drive last week was fairly successful.  I was the calling committee and contacted almost 200 people.  They were hoping to get about 75 pints and when we left about ½ hour before closing they had 70 so they came close anyway.  I gave my 33rd pint.

We went hiking after church last Sunday.  It was very muddy so we drove down to The Cove State Park with our friends Bob & Emily and then hiked along the road for several miles including up one big hill which really wore us out.  At least it was downhill on the way back to the car.  We left Wendy at a babysitters as she is not ready for a hike of several miles duration.  I am still trying to take her out everyday for a walk of a mile or so.

I went to hear Congressman Ullman speak last week at the high school.  There was a crowd of about 75 people with the majority probably being anti-Ullman.  He talked about the new tax he is proposing -- the value added tax which sounds to me like a national sales tax.

Just got back from bowling.  Today I got 96, 85, & 104 so I'm back to normal but my good scores last week did raise my average 2 points to 94.

We went to the Sweetheart Dinner at the church on Valentine's Day.  Did I ever tell you about the Silent Prayer Partner program that they have here?  All year long you are supposed to do things for your partner without them figuring out who you are.  Anyway at the Sweetheart Dinner I got a combination birthday-Valentine present, a book called "Handy Helpful Household Hints" published by Bible Voice Publishers.  Did you ever hear of them?  It's a real nice book, besides the hints it has quotes for instance "Like prayer, the small car bring the family closer together."

They are starting or attempting to start a AAUW here.  That is American Association of University Women.  The organizing meeting is to be this Saturday.  I do't know yet what our plans for this weekend are but I will probably go if we aren't doing anything.

Well, I better get this out in the mail box before the mailman comes.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry
& Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album