Wednesday, March 18, 2020

1970 Catherine's Letter -Feb.18

Wed. February 18, 1970
Dear Mother, Dad, Serena, John and Mary,

Hi!  I was hoping to hear from you all before I wrote again but it is another departure eve and nothing has arrived.  I just checked my records and found that I haven't written since I got a letter from you all last Thursday.  Things have been constantly building up to a climax here.

Paris was fantastic.  David, Bruce and JoAnn all met us here in Münster last Thursday.  (Us refers to Dick and I).  We arrived in Paris bright and early Friday morning.  We managed to crowd lots into the weekend including 3 art museums, (I avoided the Louvre, it sounded too big), the Eiffel Towel, Montmartre (sp?), lots of walking around, and Willy Boy, an American movie about Indians in 1909.  Thanks to their French we were able to find very cheap accommodations only 8 franks ($1.60) and worth about the same amount!  Ha.  But it was a place to lay our heads and that was all we needed.  The three French took off Sunday noon but Dick and I stayed to see an experimental jazz concert on Sunday evening which was well worth it.  And we were able to get the night train back and arrive only about 5 minutes late for school on Monday morning.

The week has gone somewhere and since there is no school Friday, Ann, Alan, Dick and I are taking off right after school tomorrow for Köln.  Then tomorrow night on the train, Friday in Copenhagen, another train overnighter with Saturday in Stockholm.  Back to Copenhagen or somewhere in that vicinity for Sunday as long as we can catch the Sunday night train back to Münster in time to get back to school on Monday.  So we have an entire weekend without having to put out any money for food or lodging.  It is hard to cut out some basic expenses like getting something hot to drink when we get tired of looking at museums or wandering the streets of a cold town.

Thanks for the pen.  Now I can even write notes in class without fearing I will run out of ink.  I don't know when summer vacations are going to be.  Hasn't K. sent you some sort of calendar?  I'm not really up for Mexico yet as I haven't learned Spanish.  But if you all are going somewhere at a convenient time I would definitely give the matter further consideration.

I'll admit our time in Moscow was rather pre-planned.  But since we had no knowledge of the language or what Moscow has to offer we preferred it that way.  We did have the advantage of being a small group in the off season and our guide was quite accommodating in changing our itinerary a couple of times after she found out what our interests were.  I think we were given ample time to wander around on our own plus we had evenings free.  By U.S. standards things aren't too expensive because the average Russian only makes about 130 rubles a month.  I'll explain about our fortunate money situation later.

I appreciated the letter from John, too.  Congrats on the DAR contest.

I got a letter from Ardy Munro recently.  Do you remember meeting her before we took off in her VW for San Francisco?  She wants to know how soon I can scrape up $700 to go to South Africa with her.

Next week is filled already with trips planned to Bremen, Dusseldorf (maybe two days) and possibly Hannover.  And on Saturday we head South hopefully to where there is warmth and sun.  All we've had here is snow and occasionally rain with lots of slush and generally unpleasant weather conditions.

There's a possibility you will be hearing from me again!

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album