Friday, January 10, 2020

1979 Roberta's Letter -Nov.18


Sunday Morning
6:00 A.M.
Nov. 18th [1979]
Dear Family,

Thanks for calling last night, tho sorry for the lack of correspondence on this end.  The last few weeks have really been very hectic, but on Thursday bought ten gov't postals if that situation should come up in the future.

The program yesterday at school really came off great!!!  But oh so much work was involved.  In the morning was three hours of square-dancing.  At the end of that time a square dance prof. group did a little deal.  That was really good and no wonder when they say that for every minute of show they have to practice 10 hours at least.  They were in their costumes and all.  Mother do you have your costume yet???  Also in the morning were all kinds of mixer games -- some very good ideas I now have in my head should anyone ever need them.  When you got your name tag on the back was the group that you would be in . .. as far as the games go.  Also on the front in each corner you had to put the answers to these questions:  Favorite book or story, what you would say to President Carter if you met him, your hobbies, and what animal would you be if you were to be an animal.  In the afternoon there were more game type things, but the last few hours were spent making straw -- or is it hay??  The stuff was green . . . wreathes.  Also Christmas posters to make . . . cut out cardboard in the shape of the size wreath you want, then get the straw all around it, then wire all the way around to secure the straw with the cardboard.  Really looked nice with ribbon and all.  Posters were made out of tissue paper and poster paper . . . all colors so very pretty.

I'm not sure this morning how much I said about this Catholic Church Bazaar.  We found out about it two weeks ago when I called someone about it.  Tho before I called I had been told that it would be sometime in December.  It just so happened that the day I called was the day to come and get your consignment number, if you wanted to bring things over to sell.  So we went over that day (it was two weeks ago Saturday -- yesterday)  Got our number and all the rules of the game.  We were given price tags to put on each item.  Each price tag was to have on it: our consignment number, item number, and price.  Line for each deal.  Also had forms with carbon paper to write down these three things on a list.  Then last Saturday when we went to take the stuff (except the wreaths) they checked out our list, kept one, and gave us back one.  I took the wreaths out on Thursday.  As everything last week to be handed in were suppose to be in boxes with lids.  They were asking that the stuff that could not be boxed up as such be brought in on Thursday.

The actual bazaar was on Friday from 5 to 9 and also yesterday from 9 to 11 . . . in the morning.  We went out Friday night about ten after five, and there was a huge line . . . like at least 200 people waiting to get in.  I've never seen anything like it.  They also had a barbecue -- hot dog, potato chips, and drink for 60 cents.  Or Hamburger and same for 90 cents, or ribs and same for $2.50.  But the lines were not . . . when we first got there at the food place . . . but people waiting to get in the bazaar.  The bazaar was held right in the sanctuary, it was a huge place, with so much stuff.  All very nicely displayed.  I forgot to mention that as you walk in the door you are handed a large paper bag and also a box lid type of thing to put your purchases in.  It seemed so well organized.

Marion took out nine wreaths, and six of those were sold.  Also one other we thought was sold, as we saw it behind the cashier's table but come to find out some woman had them put it back, and said she would be back with more money, and never came back.  But Marion was quite happy that six sold.  Also we had out there six macrame Christmas trees . . . and all but the one yellow one sold.  We had out six joys (remember the stuffed letters) and all but one of them sold.  Had eight of the wash-cloth/soap candles and four of them sold.  Sold $311 -- all together.  But they get 20% of that.  Which I sure don't begrudge them of since they did all that work.  You just would not have believed that crowd when we did get in on Friday night there was hardly any place to walk.  Made you linger more as you went along, to see everything.  Would you believe that Marion and I did not buy anything there!!!  Both watching our pennies!!!

The last two weeks I've really had my run-ins with businesses.  First off I had my bike out to the Honda dealers for a tune-up and check over.  Brakes needed adjusted the whole bit.  Cost $19 which I took out of can money.  I was very happy for all the work they did on the bike.  But . . . when I took the bike out the one turning signal on the back had been bent all the way off thus breaking the bracket . . . or rather was bent off the bracket.  Little sweet juvenile delinquents that live around here.  They did it once before and took it back down to where I bought the turning signals and the guy just had to replace the bracket.  So the turning signal was hanging on by the wires, still working, and I asked the Honda people to -- if they could -- fix the bracket.  When I got there to pick up the bike on my bill said "turning signal must be replaced" so I questioned the guy who I paid and he said that the turning signal would have been thrown out -- if it didn't work.  I suppose the boy thought that I wouldn't question Honda's great decisions.  Which of course I did since I knew that the turning signal actually worked.  The next morning I went out (thank goodness it's only about 1 and ½ mile from here) and on the way to school) and spoke to the Service manage and he says to me that it probably fell off during the test ride and therefore was not their fault.  I showed him the wire, and it was a definite cut.  Having gotten any answers yet I stopped on my way home from school to talk with the owner of the dealership.  Of course he says he would have to check it out.

I was to call him in half hour.  So I started my calls to him.  And the story was always that he was out to lunch or supper or who knows where and would be back in 20 minutes.  Finally I got a hold of him.  He said that the service dept manager told him that it was not thrown out, but put in the back basket, and of course it was not their fault that it wasn't there when I came to pick up the bike.  I made him listen to the three stories that I had been told.  That I suggested he find himself in the customer's shoes for a change.  I was to find out from him the next morning what he would do -- even tho -- in his words -- that it was not their fault.

I was really hot about it.  I called up the Better Business Bureau, the radio station that they advertise on.  The next day was the same story -- I couldn't talk to the manager -- he sure does take long lunches and suppers.  Finally I decided I would go back out -- and there he was.  I told him everything that I had already done, all the stories I had heard from them, and I had just began my war with them.  He got on the phone and fast and got a turning signal for me -- but I had to go way East to have it put on.  I said fine but I want $10 for all my running around and the aggravation of it all.  I got it.  When I say East -- I mean East Mesa.  Now its back to normal -- all four signals -- and the bike really does run good.  But Mesa Honda will never work on my bike again.

With the thermal underware ( isn't it underwear?) -- I should hope to ride my bike back and fourth this winter.  On really bad days I can always go to school with Micki and Marion can pick me up.  Also I've met several others from near here that I could ride back and fourth with.

I am signed up for classes next semester.  It is 16 hours -- Don't have the exact names in front of me now -- but one of the classes is out of the nursing college -- Aging and Mental Health.  I went over to talk to them and they said it was fine that I didn't have any background as far as courses in nursing.  Two of the courses are Recreation courses -- one in camp organization and Admn. and one in Recreation for special populations -- handicapped, aged, etc.  Will cover alot of the laws, etc. for them.  Another class is Social gerontology, and Psych -- life development and aged or something like that.  As far as my schedule goes, it sure makes me appreciate this semesters more.  I'll be going mornings Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays along with Tuesday from 3:00 to 8:00 (two classes) and a class on Monday Night from 5:00 to 8:30.

Must go . . . will be writing again soon . . .

Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album