Wednesday, January 29, 2020

1979 Roberta's Letter -Dec.11


Tuesday Morning
[12-11-79]
Dear Family,

Was sure great to talk to you all on Sunday and tell you the good news . . . tho I'm sure it was hard to understand with little background.  I'll enclose some pictures today of the model and also where our unit is -- as far as progress.  Both of these pictures look like the place is all garage.  Also will enclose a floor plan -- but anxious for you all to see the place in person.  Please either bring the pictures back with you or mail back so Marion can take them to Illinois.

Haven't heard from Robbie since his surprise call on Friday night.  He got some sort of special deal on the ticket -- $300 round-trip vs the usual $500 fare.  I'll let you know his plans when I find out.

Yesterday -- but actually the idea started on Saturday.  Just near our booth at the craft sale was a florist shop that was advertising for a delivery person between the 17th and 24th.  I went in to ask and was told that the pay was $3.25 and that you would have to furnish your own car and gas.  That made me lose my interest quickly.

So yesterday I was over to Skaggs buying some stuff for people at the nursing home -- which is often a headache because they want a beautiful card for 25 cents -- often tell me to keep the change. (from the quarter)  This Skaggs is at Dobson and Southern -- across from the Community College.  Next door to Skaggs was a florist shop so I went in there and asked the manager if he was in need of delivery help (tho there was no sign up.)  And he was -- will provide the van and gas -- wanted to know when I could start.  Since I needed this week to study for next Monday's exam told him on Friday of this week.  So I'm to work Friday and Saturday and then next week.  Will pay $3.25 an hour -- tax free.  Not a bad deal.  Really a nice guy -- oriental.  Should Rob come -- he can go with me delivering.

Thought yesterday's test was a brain teaser  Only four questions -- one being "What is old and what is aging?"  Next Monday's test will be the worse of the lot.  It will consist of 100 multiple choice questions.  The type graded by computer.

The craft sale was really petty disappointing.  The lady that organized it had the best deal going.  She got $10 per space from 137 people.  Very little advertising -- except the free kind in the newspapers.  Most people just walked around and wanted to know how you make such a thing.  I gave out no trade secrets.  Wanting to know where you got this or that.  Really turned me off.  But yesterday Dorothy took a centerpiece to work -- and sold that one plus got orders for two more.  Also took a macrame Christmas tree -- and sold three of them.  Marion also took centerpiece to school and sold one -- with maybes on a few more.

Today we are taking four big boxes of clothes to a second-hand store in Scottsdale that will buy clothes.  Should be interesting to see how much we get out of them.  I kept back most of the size 34 pants.  Needless to say most of these clothes are Marion's.  Don't worry -- I'm not getting rid of any of my good suits Mother.

Mary Virginia -- remember the plastic type beads that you melt on those metal type frames -- I forget the name of it.  They look like stain-glass if you use your imagination.  Should you not want to use them -- please bring them out with you.  I've got ideas for them.

The Matthews sent me a nice little card.  Told me to come over more.  Anytime I need a ride to let them know and that they would come over after me.  Had a nice card and note from Elizabeth Johnson.

We sure have had some nice weather out here.  Up to 80 during the heat of the day.  Sunday I was out riding my bike with just short sleeves on.  We ride over everyday to check on the house.  Yesterday the insulation went in.  They work on them in units of six -- so its interesting to see what has been done in the other units.

Better get going.  Sure was (is) nice having been excused from two of my exams.  As they were comprehensive.  Only six people in one class got excused and about 8 in the other.  The one prof. said a little something about everyone that was being excused -- he said I was the silent -- then he said absorber in the class . . . .

Love,
Roberta

Daddy -- One of the projects at the nursing home need lots of jingle bells -- do you have such at the factory?  For a craft project - not needed before Christmas.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album