Friday, January 03, 2020

1969 Catherine's Letter -Nov.13


13.11.1969
Münster
Dear Mother, Daddy, Serena, John, Mary and Grandma,

Hi!  thanks for the letter which I'm hoping to get from you tomorrow.  I have been doing pretty well on mail this week as I've gotten something everyday although none yet from you all.  I did get a letter from Grandma.  So thank you, grandma, and I'll send you a letter soon in Florida.

Today I was really surprised to get a letter from the E. Semmler family (in German).  They sent me greetings from you and also said they had a letter and a present for me!  Wow!  Hagen is an hour away by train and I'm going to visit them on Sunday.

Tuesday night I saw "The Return of the Magnificent Seven" at the British theater here in Münster.  Supposedly it is only for British soldiers, their families or guests but I understand they generally let in anybody who pays.  It costs only 1.70 (less than 50¢) for the cheapest seats so it isn't bad at all.  "The Sound of Music" (they don't have too many of the latest releases) is coming soon.

Last night I went to the "Die Brücke" again.  On Wednesday nights there is a group of people meet to speak English -- mostly they speak perfect Oxford English.  There were about 10 Germans, one Irish, two British soldiers and 5 of us Americans there.  It was kind of interesting but I don't get really thrilled about sitting around in a pub drinking and talking.  Hearing so much English (between that & the movie) isn't overly good for me either.  Ann and I usually do enough English speaking here.

Oh, yeah, I haven't told you about last Sunday in Essen.  We went to a hotel and restaurant exhibition.  All sorts of firms and enterprises were represented -- from every brewery in the country, furniture, kitchen equipment, electrical deals, every kind of food imaginable, TV's and radios, etc.  It was held in this gigantic place which consisted of 12 large Halls and we spent about 6 hours making the rounds with Germania Bier as home-base.  It was quite interesting and I came home utterly exhausted.

On the whole I'm satisfied here.  But, I HATE SCHOOL.  It's positively, completely unbearable.  Every morning we have 180 minutes that go so slowly I think I could retrace every single step I have made since I learned to walk and I would be finished before it was time for our mid-morning break.  The first couple weeks of art wasn't bad but now my repulsion for slides has reached such an extent that I almost get nauseated looking at the film projector.  And German (which I don't mind at all studying here at home) is even worse.  The class is so widely scattered in ability and previous knowledge that it is impossible for Frau W. to find any common ground assuming she ever got control of the class.  I wish I could speak better German -- as right now I'm really horrid but I'm slowly enlarging my vocabulary through the little reading I'm doing and in about two weeks I'll be finished with our grammar book so eventually I may be able to read and understand.

I never gave L.Eltzroth my address so I don't know how she could have given it to Mr. K.  Where is he?

Haw are Roberta and Vanessa doing?

I got a letter from Mrs. Walker & a Thanksgiving card so you might thank her as I haven't had a chance yet to answer.  How are John, Serena, and Mary?  Shall I send them pens and stationery for Christmas?  (HINT)

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album