Monday, July 15, 2019

1989 Jean's Letter to HH -Apr.28

[Stationery is from Westin Hotel, Cincinnati; envelope is from Hotel Shilla, Seoul, Korea/]

Friday Morning

Apr. 28, 1989
Dearest Harold,

It is raining & we've had no electricity for almost 3 hours.  The farmer's are frustrated not being able to get to the fields and I wonder if you've had much rain.

Evy and I are to go to Wilmington to work in the Kitchen at 12:30 today til -- &:?? for this Emmaus Walk.

So many people ask about you (& the Harners) and if you aren't home yet.  It does seem like a lot longer than five weeks.  Glad to hear you called yesterday.  All is going along fine as far as I can see.  Your mother is doing well -- has asked re strawberries.  I got her some one day -- and GG also got her a quart the same day -- since they haven't been so nice & or cheap but hope to get her some today.  I've kept her supplied with bananas, grapes etc. and she's had rhubarb out of the garden.

It's now 9:45 P.M. and we had a good day helping.  I had told Evy that I would drive but she had to for our garage door wouldn't go up due to no power.  We worked with Larry Cline & his wife and another couple from Frankfurt.

Saw the name of Melanie Terrell from Hillsboro & asked her if she is related to the N.V. Terrells – "yes, all of them" she said – turned out she is Bill Terrell's wife & asked about Mary Virginia.  I had never thought about her being Bill's wife.

Myron Holly (sp?) wife is also a pilgrim.  They are on the average an older group and quite a few are on low cholesterol diets according to Nancy Colvin.

Ken Colvin goes back to the hospital as an out-patient for hernia surgery.  The doctor had noticed his hernia when he was operated on for prostate surgery but didn't think it necessary but due to pain he suffered after 1st operation decided this was necessary so Fri. May 5 is the day set.

I read to your mother the two cards we received from you this morning written the last two days in Texas.  And also a letter from Mary -- virtually everything that she had said on the phone last Sunday -- about Chad's first birthday & Cindy's aunt & uncle visiting here from Indiana.

Roberta has called several times this week as well as Mary Virginia & John and I've had a letter from Catherine and two from Wendy & called Serena last weekend.

Continental Airlines had a special deal for children accompanying an adult & Roberta says it is being honored by TWA & a couple of other airlines.  Betty Curtis says she only knows of Continental doing it but often others follow – $1 for children accompanying an adult. Haven't heard from her yet but one has til May 26 to take advantage of offer.

Roberta has made reservations to fly into Cincy June 21st & back home July 1st.  Perhaps she has already told you this.  I told her Uncle Bill would have to meet her since we'd be gone unless I leave a car at the airport for her which I could do if Wendy & I fly to Knoxville.  Roberta would like to have a car while she is here -- like the van?

Mary Virginia asked if I wanted to meet her in Cincinnati for a concert and John called about some concert in his area but his call came while I was in Wilmington.  I'd like to have gone to both but not drive home afterwards.  Guess I could stay at John's all night but good thing I didn't as I found your mother was completely out of batteries & one she had in worthless.  They had told her she had a card but it was empty -- at least one she showed me so will got to Wilmington today to get her more.

Sorry I didn't get this schedule to you in Erwinville but have the times & numbers if you call before Monticello.  Your mother says Joanne & family are moving but haven't heard it from her -- in country but not too far out -- ?

I'm to stay there tonight (now Saturday) -- Joanne & Keith want to do something and none of her cohorts are available.

Better get this in the mail and off for Wilmington --

Guess this is the last letter of the trip and you'll be home a week from today!

Forgot to say John may be down tomorrow & then we may go to Wilmington to see Mary Va.  Told John I wouldn't keep G'ma waiting for lunch so will save some for him.

Much, much love
Your #1 wife

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album