Thursday, July 04, 2019

1989 Jean's Letter to HH -Apr.13&14, 1989

[Stationery: p. 1 from Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, Georgia,  p.2 Chattanooga  Choo-Choo Vacation Complex]


Thursday and Friday –
Apr. 13 & 14, 1989
Dearest Harold,

Fearing the last letter may not have gotten there on time I decided to send this one a little earlier.  I may not finish it today or tomorrow but at least I will have a start.

Things are fairly quiet in New Vienna.  Jim Chaney [New Vienna barber, born 1902] passed away either Tuesday or Wednesday.  I have given the paper to Phyllis so can't check on it.  In the same paper is a write-up of the Mothers Club meeting in which it mentioned that Mrs. Orville Harner is on a bicycle trip cross country so wasn't able to preside.

After mailing the letter to you finally in Dayton (when we went up for the book meeting) I realized that it wouldn't go out til Monday afternoon but it was in the box and not much I could do about it then.

Roberta sent us a copy of your more detailed itinerary along with the people to contact, where you will be in that town and also the telephone numbers which I appreciated and will share with Wells.

Backtracking a little I don't know whether I mentioned that Ed had mowed our front yard and it looks real nice and green.  Farises hadn't fixed our lawn mower  – or rather gone over it but hopefully they have by now for GG had called to remind them.  Your mother had her first rhubarb yesterday and I took her more onions last Saturday but no doubt she is ready for more now.  No great visible signs of spinach yet but the warmer weather today should help.

I've RSVPed negatively to two invitations – one to hear more about the hospital and another to the Republican Century Club.  Dotty Clifton said "He'll still be gone then" so don't know whether she thinks its the same trip that kept you away from the Lincoln Day Dinner or what.  I didn't go into details.

The more detailed calendar really helps to pinpoint your itinerary as there were many blank spaces on the first one.  I couldn't find the Texas map in the file but did find a much better map in the Road Atlas that the Hyatt kindly sent me COD with my paperback I'd left there.  Hope we don't have to use the telephone numbers but it could be most useful.

We had a real good crowd at the Mother-Daughter banquet – 97 signed the guest register but know we missed alot as we had 108 places set and added another table in the hallway to accommodate the younger Rankin entourage.  Joyce Pinkerton brought Dorothy Pope who seemed to enjoy it.  Josephine Harris Drake came along with her daughter, Lynn Cooper and Granddaughter.  There was something for everyone in the program – some not too appropriate for the sanctuary (more on that later in person) and Mrs. Frye the chalk artist had laryngitis and the doctor didn't want her to come.  The payoff was someone on a CB radio interfering.  Gene Williams and the Boy Scouts helped put up the tables and Gene, Arnold Hill & Cub Scouts took them down.  I forgot that Ed Fite also helped Mrs. Grye [Frye?] set up her equipment and take it down with Gene which was quite a project.

Wednesday was Woman's Club meeting at Marie Cooper's with Bible Study that evening – Ray  Rayl [?] has left for California (with dog he insisted he could take in plane as carry-on luggage).  Georgialia Hannah flitted in & out whispering to several people while Ed tried to talk.  She also was scheduled to have the program that after noon for WC but had told them at the beginning of the year she wouldn't be able to attend because she is taking an art class.  Margaret Drake gave a program on flowers (She had been scheduled for March but it had been cancelled due to the ice storm.  (This paragraph really rambles !!!)

Doc and Charlotte are leaving for Santa Barbara Thursday (didn't ask if it was on Delta sr. citizen tickets) but only plan to be with her sister a few days as her sister isn't too well – no details.

Thursday I went out to Fites for the bazaar workshop – decided I wouldn't be able to go to many Thursday meetings and I would improve my attendance over last year's workshops (0)!

Serena called Monday evening after I had called her on Saturday and she had made reservations on American Airlines to fly to Phoenix something like Dec. 23 to Jan. 1st for $309 so I'm sending her a check for that.  Have tried to get in touch with John – but no luck.

They are having a soup supper instead of a dinner Apr. 21 with salads and desserts but not many of us had been contacted for contributions.  An announcement should have been made at the banquet Tuesday evening but we all slipped up there.  And we didn't take up a collection so they can't say we just had them for the money we could get from them.

Virginia Hildebrant and I are going to the cholesterol class at the hospital this coming Tuesday evening – at least I called to sign her up as she said she was interested – I thought later that it is the same night as Eastern Star so she may back out.  Janie is doing well which is a real good ting.

I guess I have rambled on long enough and want to get this in today's mail.  Always glad to accept your calls and anxious to hear more from you.  I shared your card from Casa Grande with your mother yesterday (when it came).  Things seem to be going well at Wells.  I'll be glad to have you back for didn't realize our house could be so quiet.  I am eating well and watching cholesterol.  Hope that you're getting your fruits and vegetables and the Harners are feeling better.

Much, much love,
Jean


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album