We can assume these instructions were left when HH & Jean went to New York City for the toy show. Possibly Miss Lettie (Kibler, 1893-1976?) was the caregiver left in charge.
3/3/56Serena's Schedule (13 1/2 mo.)
- Gets up
- Breakfast – Warm 1 Bottle, Make Cereal out of about 1/2 cup prepared baby cereal + 1/3 - 1/2 bottle. Give rest of bottle to her in play pen – she'll hold bottle herself
10:00 or 10:15 –– Let crawl on floor
10:30 –– Nap
12:00 –– Lunch
- Try some milk in cup or green plastic glass
- Give her what rest are having unless unsuitable – baby food in cupboard
- Finish with bottle in play pen.
2:30 –– Nap usually til about 3:30.
- Once in awhile she (or you) may prefer just an afternoon nap which follows lunch & she should sleep a good 2 hours. Plan pen til fussy – then out to crawl
5 –– or 6 –– Supper followed by bottle
7 - 7:30 to bed –– with double diaper
Make this as flexible as you wish for she has learned to adjust to various schedules. Catherine or Roberta know where most everything is & will be glad to help you.
[top few lines on second page mostly indecipherable
. . . . Roberta . . . Rice Krispies or Cocoa (or Dot cereal) . . . . morning. Roberta never talked much til last spring so you may have difficulty understanding her at times but tell her to talk slowly, or repeat – she gets pretty tired in the afternoon . . . . but if she naps won't go to sleep very early at night. Use your own judgement but shouldn't be too late in going to bed. Separate beds is the quickest way to get them to sleep the fastest.
Catherine should be ready for bed at 7:15 (bath over) and in bed at 7:30 for she's the early riser. (She shouldn't get up before 7:00)
On Friday & Saturday nights they may stay up til 8:30. Catherine isn't a very good eater but seems to be going thru that stage – she likes soup, sandwiches, chocolate milk, eggnog, ?? & she's good at giving supper suggestions. Anytime you need anything at the store she can go. Roberta can go to the Dot Store for she doesn't have to cross any streets.
Catherine should leave for school by ?? and should be home by 3:45. Takes $1.35 to school on Monday for school lunch & milk for the week.