Wednesday, September 24, 2014

1974 Roberta's Letter -Sep.24

9/24/74
Dear Family,

Hi!  In about a half hour I'll once more be a student again – it was a good summer - without studying!

This quarter though isn't going to be too rough – because yesterday I was talking to my advisor & he told me that they are going to make Statistics Pass/Fail starting Winter quarter - so I'm going to wait and take it then.  The 1st two weeks of classes you can drop & get the total amount back so that is what I'm going to do.

This way I can work more hours – which I'm happy about – because I really do like my job.  Tom – my boss said he could use me full time if I wanted the hours.  I can't believe how efficiently that place is run – as compared to J&W.  I have to take a reading every hour as to how much business we've done – also all steak dinners, shrimp & chicken dinner tickets have to be kept track of.  Then at the end of the day that is supposed to equal how many are gone from the freezer.

Last night was the 1st time I closed by myself.  As I said on the p.c. [post card? don't think pc referred to computers in 1984] – everything went fine except I couldn't get the safe to lock.  I was 52¢ over – I guess (or rather heard) they don't yell too much unless you are $5.00 - $10.00 or more less or over!

Can you believe anyone cleaning up a place for 2 days – moving into it the next day and then moving out the very next day!  The 1st night I worked late (Sunday) I went to the cottage about 1:30 a.m. after work.  About 10 minutes later I had this big knock on the door – it was the neighbor woman yelling & screaming – about why I was coming in so late!  Now this was the 1st time I had ever seen her.  To make a long story short the next morning I talked to Mr. Hogan – the prof at F.A.U. who lived next door.  He said that the woman was always causing some excitement.  I called up Mr. Jettinghoff on the phone & he came over pronto.  Said he would give me back all of my money since I had cleaned the place up so nicely!

It's almost time to get to class –

I'm now at work – it's about 9:30 and pretty slow.  I think I'm really going to like my political science course – "Public Law & Judicial Behavior."  Beside a midterm & final we have to pass a proficiency exam – on the constitution & courts, etc.  It will be offered 4 times – same thing every time you can take it as many times as you need to - until you pass it.  The 1st proficiency exam is in 2 weeks – I'll probably give it a try.

The psych course I signed up for – FOR FUN – seems to be different than what I expected!  I may change it - I've kind of decided to get my electives I need in business.  I may own my own restaurant someday – you know!

Uncle Bill gave me -2- new tires for the Buick.  I had one real BAD one.  Somehow when he bought his newest car they were in the trunk – they were the right size for the Buick - so I really lucked out there.

OH – you know they still have all -4- of their cars.  They thought they had the Ford sold but the woman changed her mind.

Rob came down this morning & we loaded up the Buick & Camaro.  Afterwards we went to the International House of Pancakes.  I had a big omelett [sic] & pancakes.  It was both breakfast & lunch for me!

You'll never believe this – but yesterday I was so upset I couldn't eat. Now that was a 1st for me.  I actually fixed lunch & then couldn't eat it.  Same thing happened the night before – I had save my pudding to eat till after I got home – then after all the excitement I couldn't eat it.  The very 1st one I ever threw out!

I can't think of too much more to day – Keep me posted on how you -3- are doing.  Mary V. – drop me a line – how aer you doing writing J.B.?

Love, Berta

P.S. [written on outside of envelope] MV – how was Kings Island?

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album